Accidentally flashed Teensy LC with Teensy 2.0 hex

Status
Not open for further replies.

catskull

I have two products, one uses the Teensy LC and the other uses the Teensy 2.0. I had a Teensy 2.0 hex file loaded into teensy loader, and I had an LC plugged into my computer for testing and I accidentally pushed the button and it flashed the 2.0 hex onto the LC. Now the LC is unresponsive and I cannot flash it again. Is there any known way to recover the LC?

I'm on macOS 10.12.6 Sierra and using Teensy loader 1.41 if that matters.

With a vanilla Teensy loader that should have not been possible since the loader should check what it is connected to, but if something has happened, load your LC code in the Teensy loader and then pressing the button, or for really drastic problems holding the button in while plugging should de-brick things.

Thanks for the reply! I've done it the other way where I accidentally tried to flash a Teensy LC hex to a 2.0 or 3.2, and the loader did block it. But in this case it didn't. I actually have 2 or 3 LC's that are bricked like this (you'd think I would eventually figure out a better way since each bricked Teensy is $10 out of my pocket). Pressing the button with an LC hex loaded does not flash it. I have not tried holding the button when plugging in the USB cable, but I will try that!

Just reporting back for posterity. Holding the button down while plugging in the USB cable did not unbrick the teensy LC. Robin reached out to replace it though.

I am still curious how this is possible though! It's only slightly annoying because the LC was soldered to a finished product so besides just the Teensy I lost the soldering time and other components (only a few dollars though so not a big deal).

...which teaches us to make things service friendly, meaning that you should use sockets, so that you can replace the Teensy or whatever other expensive component with more than 8 pins without soldering.

Do those sockets really work?

I mean, when you try to pull the chip, those machine pin sockets usually hold a pin very tightly. I suppose if you insert a tool between the chip and socket and pry gently and grip the PCB loosely so and excessive force turns the board, maybe you could get the chip out without ripping the socket right off the board. Maybe?

I think that these are a good helper for occasional servicing (provided you use appropriate tools). They are for sure not meant for daily IC replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back