Possible open pin onTeensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonL

I recently purchased a Teensy 3.6, and I am having issues programming the part. I am using the Arduino IDE with Teensyduino. I have a couple Teensy 3.2 parts that work great. But the 3.6 part seems to have problems downloading/programming. I put the 3.6 into a breadboard, and connected the SPI0 port to an Adafruit TFT display. When I tried to download the example program "graphicstest", it would not program. I get the message "Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to enter program mode." Pressing the program mode button also does not work. After several tries, it did program. When it tried a different program, it again would not program. In addition to the Teensy and the TFT, I also have a breadboard power supply providing 5 volts to the board. At this point I removed the Teesny from the breadboard, and using only the USB for connection and power, I tried to program the simple example program "blink". Again, I would not program. I did find that if I apply pressure on the processor chip it would program. I tried several times and it seems consistent. If I push down it will program, if I don't push down it doesn't. I'm thinking that there maybe an open pin under the Teensy processor. What should I do?

Was it bought with the pins installed? Did you cut the VCC<>VUSB trace - or just not use USB when externally powered?

Was it bought with the pins installed? Did you cut the VCC<>VUSB trace - or just not use USB when externally powered?

I did buy the version with pins installed. I did not cut any traces. I do use external power when I use the USB to program. I have been doing this with the Teensy 3.2 without any issues. I assumed this wouldn't be a problem.

I did buy the version with pins installed. I did not cut any traces. I do use external power when I use the USB to program. I have been doing this with the Teensy 3.2 without any issues. I assumed this wouldn't be a problem.

Just checking that you hadn't modified it. Ideally it seems two power sources is a bad idea - one will get feedback voltage? And you don't want to do that to your computer.

I got one T_3.6 that exhibited what sounds to be similar behavior - and have seen notes of 2-3 others.

If you can get a simple blink on it - what happens if you then push the Program Button to feel the click with a wait between to watch for blink - does it keep blinking? Repower if it stops blinking. Mine would keep blinking not seeing the Button unless pressed harder.

Not sure if Paul got anywhere with ones he has seen.

Just checking that you hadn't modified it. Ideally it seems two power sources is a bad idea - one will get feedback voltage? And you don't want to do that to your computer.

I got one T_3.6 that exhibited what sounds to be similar behavior - and have seen notes of 2-3 others.

If you can get a simple blink on it - what happens if you then push the Program Button to feel the click with a wait between to watch for blink - does it keep blinking? Repower if it stops blinking. Mine would keep blinking not seeing the Button unless pressed harder.

Not sure if Paul got anywhere with ones he has seen.

It just keeps blinking while the button is pressed. I tried pressing harder on the button, but that didn't change it. I tried pressing the button while also pressing down on the processor and that stopped the blink. So I believe the problem is a connection under the processor chip.

I bought it through Sparkfun. Is there any replacement policy?

It just keeps blinking while the button is pressed. I tried pressing harder on the button, but that didn't change it. I tried pressing the button while also pressing down on the processor and that stopped the blink. So I believe the problem is a connection under the processor chip.

I bought it through Sparkfun. Is there any replacement policy?

That sounds similar indeed to what I saw. Mine was not pinned and flexing the PCB was easier which may relate to the added chip pressure working.

What I saw was just function program test new out of wrapper when I saw the button oddity. Sounds like yours has not been used much or altered. I did get a replacement.

PJRC should see your thread and answer on replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back