dynamic backlight for picture frames "giraffe"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dombo66

Hi,

I am a professional photographer from Germany/Europe and I would like to enhance the deepness and vitality of my pictures by dynamically illuminate them with an addressable backlight. As an example please check the pictures of the giraffe attached. From the original picture a created a BMP file 24-bit with a resolution of 19x17 pixels. My idea is to transfer the color information of these pixels to the same position of the LED matrix to illuminate my picture with the color saturation of the original picture.

The frame is 60x40cm and I have daisy chained 323 LEDs RGB, horizontally 17 rows, vertically 19 columns, LED pitch is 2cm. The soldering is left to right bottom up, starting lowest left corner. My programming skills are very limited, I am able to run the Arduino IDE and was able to install Teensy 3.2. but I lost track when it comes to

a) convert the BMP file to machine readable RGB code (c++)
b) create a sketch
c) implementing the LED color information (a) to the sketch (b)

Anybody willing to help me and contribute? I am also willing to financially compensate for the efforts,
I am planning to use also different pictures sizes and amount of LEDs, therefore I am looking for a general solution
which a can adapt myself for projects which will follow.

Thanks
DominicView attachment giraffe_indiziert_web.bmpView attachment giraffe.bmp giraffe_3.jpggiraffe_2.jpggiraffe_1.jpg

Hi Dominik,

first step would be downsampling a copy of the image to just 19 x 17 pixels (corresponding to your LED array) in any photo editor program. Thus you'd obtain already a much smaller file which would contain the averaged color values for the LEDs without any effort and almost ready to use.
Second step would be reading the 323 RGB values from the new bmp file and reformatting these in an array which can be read from a .h file by your sketch via include.
Outputting the 323 color values to the LED strip is then trivial.

to do the downsampling as Theremingenieur suggests, you can use the image converter that was set up for the POV projects using Teensy. This will give the output array in the dimensions you want, but might not be exactly to RGB saturations that you are after. You can then use the array how you wish. The converter gives the rgb values and you copy and paste this into the sketch.

Once you have the values pasted into the sketch, you can use octows28 library, or fastled library in combination with a remapping array that takes the consecutive rgb values and repositions them for your 'snake' arrangement.

Just thinking out loud: once the basic task achieved, one might add a small Alps rotary encoder and do some scalar multiplication to adjust the tint (colder/warmer) of the background illumination...

The conversion from your 19x17 bmp to an RGB array can be done with an online tool: https://manytools.org/hacker-tools/image-to-byte-array/

Hi Theremingenieur,

thanks for fast response, I tried the BMP converter you recommended to me, but it says, that it will convert in monochromatic data, the result had been

//Byte array of bitmap of 24 x 11 px:

img [] = {
0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff,
0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xe0,
}

I think this result wont word,
best regards
Dominic

Hi Theremingenieur,

I already converted the original large picture to 17 x 19 pixel, so each pixel is representing one RGB LED. The name of the file is giraffe_web.bmp and a second larger one is giraffe.bmp
Those to files had been uploaded when I started this thread.

Best regards
Dominic

Hi Mortonkopf,

thanks for the fast response. Where can I find the image converter you are recommending? Are you or anybody else for the community able to send me a sketch, I can´t find a sketch I can modify for my project. Thank you so much, Dominic

@dombo66 have a look at the image converter here, put in your original image, and choose your output dimensions: http://www.orchardelica.com/poisonic/poi_page.html

Then copy and paste the output into your sketch. What library do you intend to use? do you have ws2811 / ws2812 leds or are you using SPI type leds (APA?).

You will find examples for using both in the menu of the IDE. Paste the array generated by the converter into the example sketch. Use the setpixel line to select the led you want to put a colour to, and select the colour from the array. You can do this by using for loops to work through the array.

@dombo66, the below code should get you started
Code:
#include "FastLED.h"

#define NUM_LEDS 60
#define DATA_PIN 2
#define CLOCK_PIN 3
CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

//put your array from the inage converter in here v
const unsigned int array1[] = { 0x000100, 0x000100, 0x000100, 0x000100, 0x000100, 0x000100, /*etc .. add your values here*/}; //end of array

//you will also need to have an array that remaps your led number into snake such as
//const int ArrayToSnake[] = {0,1,2,3,4,5,.... 11,10,9,8,7,6 ...12,13,14,15,16,....22,21,20,}... etc

void setup() {

delay(200);
 // Uncomment/edit one of the following lines for your leds arrangement.
      // FastLED.addLeds<TM1803, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
      // FastLED.addLeds<TM1804, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
      // FastLED.addLeds<TM1809, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
      // FastLED.addLeds<WS2811, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
      // FastLED.addLeds<WS2812, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
      // FastLED.addLeds<WS2812B, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
     FastLED.addLeds<NEOPIXEL, DATA_PIN>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
      // FastLED.addLeds<APA104, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
      // FastLED.addLeds<UCS1903, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
      // FastLED.addLeds<UCS1903B, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
      // FastLED.addLeds<GW6205, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
      // FastLED.addLeds<GW6205_400, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);