Using the audio software to analyse vibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bond

Overall objective
I'm trying to manage vibration. There appear to be two ways to do this, the first is a canceling vibration in the same plane at the same frequency but out of phase. The second is to use hetrodyne, the added vibration reduces the overall vibrations frequency so it is easier to damp.

There are mechanical solutions like the Lanchester viscous flywheel used on the super quiet Rolls-Royce "Ghosts" until 1926 but purely mechanical devices are generally complex and need a lot of tuning. They aren't available off the shelf.

Is using a Teensy an alternative?
If one could do a FFT and also determin the phase, you could build two actuators and weights to produce a counter vibration. The movement is predominantly in the X and Y direction because the concrete floor dampens the Z (vertical) movement.

The dominant vibration frequency is about 42Hz but shifts. It drops to under 37Hz when the device is under load. These changes in frequency are slow, they take about 200ms.

Think of two high speed accelerometers with a range up to 2Khz used as microphones. The actuators would then be like subwoofers. I could then use the audio software to assist me write the Teensy audio code.

Does this sound reasonable?

1. I have a Teensy 3.5 available
2. I'm proficient at writing Arduino sketches
3. I have engineering and electronics skills
4. I understand vibration and damping
5. I have very limited understanding of sound.
6. I understand the basic FFT concept but not the math.

Kind regards from darkest Africa
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back