Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help with delayMicroseconds() and UART init, inside an IRQ_UART0_STATUS function

DMX kinda sorta already has started to move to Ethernet, as E1.31 or Artnet protocol.

The 100 meter length and galvanic isolation of Ethernet transforms makes a lot of sense for lighting, especially compared to the relatively short distance of USB.

@Paul: Thank you for taking the time to update an old man! I know that you are busy with the T4 and I'll try to not to steal you more time with my ignorance.

I was wondering why 8 was better than a mere 5 or 6 UARTS on T_4. Other means can selectively go farther and/or faster and/or with CRC

There was ... some year ago ? ... some wondering about UART lag - though seems that was when active and new data to empty FIFO data went out on the next interrupt IIRC. Also seems some there was noted at that time a change elsewhere (outside PJRC) in AVR or other - a UART code change - but that doesn't remind me enough to find those (probably not relevant) posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Theremingenieur View Post
    @Paul: Thank you for taking the time to update an old man! ...
    Easy there with throwing insults Thierry - AFAIK we are about the same age - assuming you were about 20 while in service ...

Quote Originally Posted by Theremingenieur View Post
    @Paul: Thank you for taking the time to update an old man!
    as long you are not proving your claim, being an old man, with a picture showing grey hairs, you are still young forever.

I think I found the issue. I'm taking this quote from Teensy 3.6's processor manual:

Setting C2[TE] automatically loads the transmit shift register with the following
    preamble:
    Basically, I was toggling the transmit-enable state. This explains this whole scenario. When enabling the transmitter on a UART, one character of preamble is shifted out.

I was keeping the transmitter off thinking that would be good practice if I'm not transmitting very often. I've decided to just keep it on.