Fast Timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nefarious

I haven't done anything on this project yet, I just want to know if I a wasting my time thinking about it. I have a device I want to talk to that needs an interval timer with a shorter period then 1 microsecond. Given that the Teensy 3.6 is a 180Mhz device the clock has a period of around 5 ns. Is there any way to set a timer to 100 clock cycles or 500ns?

Here's a demo which can give you an idea of the maximum realistic number of interrupts per second, and some techniques to maximize performance.

This is the original thread which prompted making that video.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/48101-PMT-pulse-counting-using-Teensy-3-2

Of course, much better performance can be achieved for certain applications using the timers and sometimes DMA. For just counting pulses, the FreqCount library can do so much more using the timers for the heavy lifting than you could do running an interrupt for each pulse.

Interesting demo … thought video might show what the T_3.2 FreqCount would have done compared to the T_3.6 …

How long until the T_4 boards are ready for pickup so you can get back to work :)

opps - just read the linked post - and see this is a video from Nov 30, 2017

Yup, made this one 1 year ago. It's going to be a while until I can find time to make more of these sorts of videos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back