USB serial data loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

markb

I'm using a Teensy 3.2 with Teensyduino 1.44.

I have an application where I send data from a PC to the Teensy over the USB serial port, and I was noticing data corruption. I wrote this simple sketch to demonstrate the problem:

Code:
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(1000000);
}

static int seq = 0;
static int received = 0;
static int lasterror = -1;

void loop() {
  if (Serial.available()) {
    int c = Serial.read();
    if (c != seq) {
      Serial.print("Received: ");
      Serial.println(c);
      Serial.print("Expected: ");
      Serial.println(seq);
      if (lasterror >= 0) {
        Serial.print("# bytes since last error: ");
        Serial.println(received - lasterror);
      }
      lasterror = received;
    }
    seq = c + 1;
    if (seq > 255) {
      seq = 0;
    }
    received++;
    if (received % 150000 == 0) {
      Serial.print("# of bytes received: ");
      Serial.println(received);
    }
  }
}

On the PC side, I'm running this code (C#):

Code:
using System;
using System.IO.Ports;
using System.Threading;

namespace teensy_usbserial
{
    class Program
    {
        private static void DataReceivedHandler(object sender, SerialDataReceivedEventArgs e)
        {
            var serial = (SerialPort)sender;
            Console.Write(serial.ReadExisting());
        }

static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            var serial = new SerialPort("COM11", 1000000);
            serial.DataReceived += new SerialDataReceivedEventHandler(DataReceivedHandler);
            serial.Open();
            var buf = new byte[1572];
            byte seq = 0;

while (true) {
                for (int i = 0; i < buf.Length; i++) {
                    buf[i] = seq++;
                }
                serial.Write(buf, 0, buf.Length);
                Thread.Sleep(200);
            }
        }
    }
}

And, finally, the output (from the PC, which just shows what the Teensy sends to it):

Code:
Received: 172
Expected: 44
Received: 80
Expected: 208
# bytes since last error: 36
Received: 236
Expected: 172
# bytes since last error: 92
Received: 208
Expected: 16
# bytes since last error: 36
Received: 52
Expected: 180
# bytes since last error: 78308
Received: 244
Expected: 116
# bytes since last error: 64
Received: 116
Expected: 52
Received: 116
Expected: 180
Received: 88
Expected: 152
Received: 12
Expected: 140
# bytes since last error: 7988
Received: 204
Expected: 76
Received: 76
Expected: 12
Received: 76
Expected: 140
# of bytes received: 300000

These numbers suggest that I'm loosing entire USB packets, because most of those packets should be carrying 64 bytes of data. Is there just too much overhead in the loop to keep up? It does very little work, unless it finds an error.

After some more investigation, I found that changing "if (Serial.available()) {" to "while (Serial.available()) {" solved the problem! So this suggests that there is too much time between loop() calls to keep up with the USB stream. I was even able to reduce the delay in the sending code all the down to 1ms, and still no data loss.

So, I think the lesson here is don't return control from loop() until you've processed all the available data. Returning from loop() occasionally looks necessary for certain functionality (events), though, so some combination of the two strategies might be best.

There is no reason to call yield() (by returning from loop()) if you don't need the events. And even if you need the events..take a look at the sourcecode of yield() - it is so simple...
yield() checks _all_ UARTS. I guess not more than 0.01% of Arduino users need _all_ events for_all_uarts, but it slows down _all_ sketches... well..Arduino design :)
Luckyly, the solution is simple - just make your own loop.

For your problem - dataloss - perhaps increasing the buffer sizes helps. There may be a simple buffer overflow*? (<- I mean, not enough buffers available)

Last edited:
There is no reason to call yield() (by returning from loop()) if you don't need the events. And even if you need the events..take a look at the sourcecode of yield() - it is so simple...
yield() checks _all_ UARTS. I guess not more than 0.01% of Arduino users need _all_ events for_all_uarts, but it slows down _all_ sketches... well..Arduino design :)
Luckyly, the solution is simple - just make your own loop.

For your problem - dataloss - perhaps increasing the buffer sizes helps. There may be a simple buffer overflow*? (<- I mean, not enough buffers available)

I did take a look at the yield() source code, but I didn't follow it all the down. There's a call to EventResponder::runFromYield(). Not really sure what that does, but it's probably nothing important for my project.

Regarding buffer size, what buffer are you talking about? As you can see from the Teensy source code I posted above, I didn't create any buffers. Is there a way to have Teensy buffer more USB packets?

I did take a look at the yield() source code, but I didn't follow it all the down. There's a call to EventResponder::runFromYield(). Not really sure what that does, but it's probably nothing important for my project.

Regarding buffer size, what buffer are you talking about? As you can see from the Teensy source code I posted above, I didn't create any buffers. Is there a way to have Teensy buffer more USB packets?

Oh, I had forgotten (I haven't been here for a long time) that all this was replaced by the eventresponder, which now runs with every systick+yield. Sorry for that!..
If you scroll down here: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_serial.html You'll see some useful tips. For setting the buffersize, you may want to look at the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back