[posted] Polaron DIY drum machine

Hi
The polaron uses WS2812b LEDs. Apparently there are through hole versions of this LED, just google for WS2812b through hole. I have never worked with them so far. If you want to use these, you'd need to create a new PCB, replacing the SMD footprints with throughhole footprints (or a footprint that allows both formats). Before doing so, I'd test the LEDs on a breadboard. The polaron has some other SMD components that you'd also have to replace in the same way.
What is the reason you need everything throughhole?
Tom

Ok. Those LEDS were the only thing I couldn't find a THT version of, but I will search again. I'm comfortable with making a new pcb.

Regarding THT versus SMD: It's just easier for me to solder THT components, especially since there are a ton of those LEDs. JLCPCB offers to do the SMD soldering for you, except it doesn't have those LEDs available in it's catalog. Therefore, I thought I would see if there was a THT version that I could more easily solder myself. EDIT: JLCPCB does actually have those LEDS. My bad.

I also think a lot more people would try building this unit if it weren't so heavy on the SMD. Not a criticism- you designed it for your own needs, which is totally legit, of course.

Last edited:
Ok. Those LEDS were the only thing I couldn't find a THT version of, but I will search again. I'm comfortable with making a new pcb.

Regarding THT versus SMD: It's just easier for me to solder THT components, especially since there are a ton of those LEDs. JLCPCB offers to do the SMD soldering for you, except it doesn't have those LEDs available in it's catalog. Therefore, I thought I would see if there was a THT version that I could more easily solder myself.

I also think a lot more people would try building this unit if it weren't so heavy on the SMD. Not a criticism- you designed it for your own needs, which is totally legit, of course.

Its a great idea, keep me posted! When i started designing the Polaron, there was no THT version of this kind of addressable RGB LED (afaik), so i went with SMD (and kind of enjoy soldering it by now). But most problems i hear people have building the polaron have to do with the LEDs, i'm sure switching to through hole LEDs would greatly help making the project an easier build for everyone

Back