Led Art project using Bitmap and teensy 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwatterson

Led Art project using Bitmap and teensy 3.2

Good morning all, Need some guidance on this art project - In essences, the project involves projecting an existing BitMap image to the teensy-WS2912B panel The panel is 432 by 8, 2812B LEDs using the teensy 3.5 and is working and displays a test pattern - hardware works fine. First I need the upload a bitmap image that I translate from paint or photoshop to send to the teensy SD Card. So far I can get the Hex code from photoshop, but I do not see any examples of code for loading that code to the teensy like the parameters needed to ID the details. There was an example of testing the SD Card but the serial monitor says the SD card will not initialize. I did format the 16 GB SD Card using Fat 32 on Win 10. Are there any instructions for loading the hex code directly to teensy 3.5 SD card or can I load BitMap file directly to the teensy.

you could save the image as a bitmap image of the right dimensions to the sd card and read the bitmap out to the leds from there, no need to convert the image to a hex file. A code example for reading a bitmap data (and avoiding the header info) can be found here https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/24535-OctoWS2811-POV-reading-BMP-from-SD-card

you will need to adjust the way that it reads out one line at a time as this code uses just a single row of leds. You may also find other projects that read the bitmap straight from the sd card. Also, that code is not optimised for speed.

for SD card problems, are you using "const int chipSelect = BUILTIN_SDCARD;"

Thank you for your help. No, I did not use BUILTIN_SDCARD, I just used the SD test file to see if I could communicate. While I have been working on this for a while I did not notice this function. Is there a list of functions for the SD Card or do I have to open the C++ file to find them? I am surprised that I have not seen this expression before "const int chipSelect = BUILTIN_SDCARD;"

Impressive work. I need to work through you code. Obviously I have a lot to learn. Would be willing to help me directly if I need it?

hi there. if you go to the examples drop down menu and then go to the teensy examples and choose SD, in there select cardinfo sketch. When you look inside that sketch you will see that there is a list of options for setting the pin. If you are using a teensy 3.5 you can use the on-board sd card slot by choosing "const int chipSelect = BUILTIN_SDCARD;" Lines 31-39 of the sketch give a description of this. Try this sketch on its own and see if your card is recognised.

Thanks, you are very helpful and your work is outstanding. I could use your support and am willing to pay you. What I have in mind is paying you for helping me with this project - like a flat fee. It looks like you have worked out all the details for your own work so it should not be a big project for you. My project includes text and bitmaps. If that sounds like something that may interest you - contact me at johnwatterson@hotmail.com and we can work out a plan. Since your email goes to my junkmail let me know who to expect.

hi there. You will find plenty of support on this forum to help you through. Unfortunately I am fully committed with paid work right now, so won't be able to take you up on that offer, but glad to freely help where I can. First off, try the 3.5 onboard sd card slot with testing the basic sketch. If that works, then it will pretty quick to get the leds up and running.

It is good have work. I will follow your suggestions and maybe "things" will work out. I will get started on Monday. I certainly do appreciate the help. You are obviously very talented. Good Work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back