Freeze after 4 to 6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanleyvc

Hai,

A have a project with Teensy 3.6 with SGTL 500.
A have more project 's with this.
all wil freeze after 4 to 6 weeks.

What can happens?

Thanks

Without seeing what your stuff does, one could only guess wildly around. That’s why we have that forum rule
Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
to make sure that someone being willing to help can exactly reproduce your setup to reproduce and diagnose your problem.

Obviously posting code and pictures will help possibly identify the problem.

I can think of several things that might be an issue:
  • The millis/micros clock ticks over and you aren't using unsigned long arithmetic to figure out the amount for a delay (or if you are using unsigned long, you coded it wrong);
  • Some other counter overflows in 4-6 weeks;
  • You are allocating memory (possibly being done in a library) that isn't being freed and the heap is exhausted -- or there may be space available, but the heap is fragmented since adjacent blocks are not released, and the memory allocation cannot find a big enough block;
  • You are using recursion and eventually the stack runs out of space;
  • You are using alloca in a loop, and the stack memory is not being released because the function doesn't return;
  • You are using external communication to other boards/devices, and you get some corruption on the transfer;
  • You get the random memory corruption from gamma rays;
  • Perhaps power is not stable, and you get something that causes the Teensy to continue to run, but other devices getting zapped;
  • You access variables from an interrupt handler that take 2 or more read/write accesses or are unaligned, and eventually you get an interrupt between the first access and the second; (or)
  • You use word pointers to access unaligned memory, and the Teensy 3.2 has one location where you will get a trap because it crosses segment/page boundaries (I suspect the 3.5/3.6 may have a similar issue) -- there one solution is to insure you never have a block of memory that crosses that particular boundary, or possibly don't use unaligned load/stores.

My top guesses are more or less the same as everyone elses ;) Especially since we have no hints.

a) power - Always one of my top guesses.

b) Overflows or the like with timers, timeouts...

c) memory corruption/leaks - As mentioned maybe using heap and something not being freed. Or finally gets too fragmented, Or maybe allocations done on Interrupts like Interval timer or...

d) Or some timing issue. Example I have seen (done) and fixed bugs like:
Code:
    CallOftoSomethingThatwillInterruptAtCompletion();
    interrupt_happened = false;
    while (!interrupt_happened) ;
Works most of the time, but maybe some other interrupt happens during the CallOff.. And the actual interrupt is triggered, before we reutn and clear interrupt_happened...
So then are wait will wait for ever...

Again knowing nothing about your program or setup hard to recommend stuff.

But could maybe use @defragster stuff - Although hard to know if you need some other hardware sitting there with Serial port or like for 4-6 weeks.

Again check for everywhere you wait for something and make sure you don't have code like above and/or you have timeouts in all loops.

Maybe setup something like watchdog timer? to make sure things are running and try to recover...

Again hard to say

Kurt

This wasn't designed to detect all forms of 'glitches in the matrix' :) - but ...

My last posted debug_t3 is here

In that one I integrated the above RamMonitor - not sure how well or helpfully it is documented/implemented. It can keep track of RAM using using that code as I found it - and will also trigger if a FAULT happens at the point "wil freeze after 4 to 6 weeks."

That might help see if RAM is going away or perhaps a FAULT indication if properly instrumented up to that point - what the fault is or how it got there.

Hai,

A have a project with Teensy 3.6 with SGTL 500.
A have more project 's with this.
all wil freeze after 4 to 6 weeks.

What can happens?

Thanks

Let's continue with wild guesses
Are you using SD library to read/write a lot of files?

In this case:
Note there seems a memory allocation issue in File object:
File constructor calls malloc(), but File destructor does not call delete(), or better delete() is never called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back