Any limitations on SPI flash size/format/etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alialiali

Hi everyone,

For the audio library, I'd like to use a massive flash chip (like 4Gbit for under 10USD!) for storing and playing back samples. I see reasonably small ones are recommended for adding directly on the audio board, but I was wondering if there is any general limitation (I can't think why) on the size and type of flash. Otherwise I am happy to use a few lower-sized chips.

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, there are limits on the type & format of flash.

Currently the audio lib only has code for serial "nor" type flash, and for the small amount of leftover flash inside the microcontroller. Any other type would require substantial software work to support.

Especially "nand" type flash is quite difficult.

Is there a distributor in Europe where I can order some? I think it's possible to use this chip, and/or I can make it work - with Paul's SerialFlash library. Or, better, If you order them anyway, can you send me two or three (SO16) ? Would save shipping costs.. Pls contact me via mail

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, Frank B. I get my boards made at macrofab.com, so I never see any non-prototyping parts until they are on the boards.

Sorry, I also had a follow up question: Can the library handle multiple flash chips together, assuming I have separate chip select pins for each?

Oh, just looked at the design tool docs. I thought there was a link in there to Frank's Memoryboard, but looks like it never got added.

Frank, do you have a page somewhere with all the details? Or should I find the old forum threads?

Frank B, that is really cool. Could I ask the purpose of the buffer chip please?

@Paul: There is no page - only the repository. But somehow it is found, because I get emails from users from time to time.
But you should also mention F-RAM (https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/A...8be#diff-fc93ba60fb26d369f00808d16246a36cL235) because it might be an alternative.

@alialiali:
The buffer is more for the case that other SPI hardware is also connected to the teensy pins. I've connected a display there, and I'm routing the pins to a pin header. I thought it would be better to insert a buffer there so that it works a bit more reliably at high speeds. After all, without it six gates would already be connected to each SPI-Line. It adds only a few cents and has no negative effects.
If you make your own hardware, you can probably do without it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to copy your schematic two times, because I also quite like the sound of a long delay with RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back