Arduino Serial Plotter 2.0 (update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duff

Been working on this for awhile now but its to point I feel comfortable sharing now. I'm going to post on a few other forums to get idea if this is something people would like to see? The code is still very much beta but this video demo shows that its fairly useful in its current state. Let know what you think, no code is uploaded to GitHub yet I'll do that in week or so.

Looks like some good work.
Worked with plotter at least once - wondering about being able drop text messages at the same time?

Looks like some good work.
Worked with plotter at least once - wondering about being able drop text messages at the same time?
I'm not sure what you mean by text messages? Maybe with a add-on board? All data has to come from the micro just like the current Serial Plotter.

I'll second that - looks really good.

We have been using something called Telemetry Viewer for x-y type of plots - http://www.farrellf.com/TelemetryViewer/. May give you some other ideas as well.
This uses JFreeChart Java Library, makes really nice charts. With the XY Line chart I designed it so you can modify a bunch of parameters like the Title, Axis labels, Background Color, Line Color, Line Stroke and Chart Bounds and Range. I looked at the link you posted they are nice I think you can represent data in similar fashion with this too.

I'll second that - looks really good.

We have been using something called Telemetry Viewer for x-y type of plots - http://www.farrellf.com/TelemetryViewer/. May give you some other ideas as well.
I just saw that TelemeteryViewer uses OpenGL, that is something that I looked at and maybe will go that way in the future for performance reasons. This is more of a proof of concept now.

I'm also confused. Have no idea what's meant by "drop text messages at the same time".
I prefer not to drop my text messages :)

display , present, show …. like with SerMon putting text out to the display … you know those wordy textual things … drop them into view
So your talking about being able to see the raw data being sent to the Serial Plotter? I thought about that but I use json formatted messages from the Teensy to the Serial Plotter so I decided it would be more of pain than its worth.

So your talking about being able to see the raw data being sent to the Serial Plotter? I thought about that but I use json formatted messages from the Teensy to the Serial Plotter so I decided it would be more of pain than its worth.

I don't know what defragster likes to see, but I could imagen, say in addition to visualizing spectrum to overlay other information, say gain settings, or other low rep-rate contextual information.

I don't know what defragster likes to see, but I could imagen, say in addition to visualizing spectrum to overlay other information, say gain settings, or other low rep-rate contextual information.

Indeed - simple relevant notes regarding the data on display - one time or low rep rate - typical SerMon stuff for debug, settings or status of import. Not generally the raw data being plotted.

I don't know what I like as I've not seen it - Arduino plot, and seeing your updates and having used the Telemetry Viewer a bit … it seems being able to 'drop text' (into a box could be useful).

I would but I don't think the Arduino devs would even consider it then because it would be to geared toward Teensy stuff. I wish there was a plugin system for Arduino instead personally. My gut feeling is that they will not except such expansive remake of the Serial Plotter and what I posted will have to be severally curtailed for them to even consider it:(

I would but I don't think the Arduino devs would even consider it then because it would be to geared toward Teensy stuff. I wish there was a plugin system for Arduino instead personally. My gut feeling is that they will not except such expansive remake of the Serial Plotter and what I posted will have to be severally curtailed for them to even consider it:(

Defining UI layout takes commands/work/overhead. Would be nice to have a better system evolve … maybe @Koromix and TyCommander :) But not easy to plop into Arduino and maintain for general use.

TelemetryViewer doesn't do text windows and PulseView for the $15 SparkFun Logic Analyser doesn't as it just isn't common to have them go together [especially short term second(s) level data collection]. But after years of text debugging being able to add informative graphic displays to that would be handy to see - Teensy or not - just handy since Arduino runs into both graphable data and enunciated status/event text for display.

Which is why I like Teensy as that is what I was doing back in mid 1980's using PC's with BASIC then WINDOWS 2.0 to monitor industrial processes.

I would but I don't think the Arduino devs would even consider it

They're planning to eventually have a "pluggable" serial monitor API. So maybe there's some long-term hope, not that they'd accept this, but provide a way it could be added as a plugin.

That would be awesome, "pluggable". I have another idea for making a LED simulator too. Probably more geared toward LED panels though. But java is pretty heavy handed so thats still pipe dream.

One feature that's sorely missing from the Arduino serial plotter window is the ability to accept serial input from the keyboard. Why would this be nice? So while you are viewing a plot at runtime, you can send commands to your program (I like to use simple characters) to change modes, tweak parameters, etc. As it is, you have to close the plotter window, open the serial monitor window, type in a command, close the serial monitor window, open the plotter window … you get the idea.

Anyway, maybe something you might consider adding to your viewer.

One feature that's sorely missing from the Arduino serial plotter window is the ability to accept serial input from the keyboard. Why would this be nice? So while you are viewing a plot at runtime, you can send commands to your program (I like to use simple characters) to change modes, tweak parameters, etc. As it is, you have to close the plotter window, open the serial monitor window, type in a command, close the serial monitor window, open the plotter window … you get the idea.

Anyway, maybe something you might consider adding to your viewer.
I'll keep that in mind.

Indeed - pause or modify output with keyboard would be nice.
Yep, that is planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back