Is there any need for a Remote Teensy API or a "Teensy on a wire" project :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob.Schultz

Is there any need for a Remote Teensy API or a "Teensy on a wire" project :)

First, sorry for my bad grammar skills.

I have made a small high efficient ActiveObject framework for real time programming, and for testing in that connection I ended up with a kind of remote device API on a Teensy 3.2 that runs on a serial connection.

It makes it possible to create a remote API on a PC platform and use all the devices I2C, SPI, CAN, etc. on the Teensy via a serial connection. It supports concurrent calls and its possible to process io and interrupts at a limited rate at the same time.

It turned out to be quite efficient solution. On a 921600 baud connection and a 100Khz i2cbus clock it can read or write 20 bytes from a i2c device form my PC in 800 micro seconds. That's about 1250 calls/second and the serial line still has capacity to process other events at the same time. The cpu load is not an issue but the use of memory buffers for concurrent processing can set a limit.

One idea is to move some development off target and test your code for displays, motion sensors and etc. on a posix or windows platform and afterwards compile it to its final target. It's only possible to create a limited AVR framework for communicators devices.

Another idea is a Python API on a PC to a remote Teensy, it could be good for rapid testing, teaching, etc. (it sounds anyway more use full than squeezing a Python interpreter on a Teensy in my ears :) )

I have not made up my mind yet to continue on this idea or not. There are still some work to do to go from my “internal use only” project to a public one. I could use some feedback if anyone find it use full or have some ideas. Thanks.

I created 2 libraries similar to do this which controls multiple node peripheral ports over the SPI or CAN network. However, the CAN version I managed to make it multi-master and concurrent access, so everything both ways could be controlled at same time :)

Yours is still good if people want PC access to similar functionalities, diversity is always a plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back