Teensy 3.2 Joystick and serial interface compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I kindly ask for help or guidance with the following problem.
best regards, Christian

Problem description

I am using the Teensy 3.2 board https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy32.html as USB gamecontroller for a PC running Windows 10 home.
I am using the Arduino IDE 1.8.5 with Teensyduino 1.44
When compiling with USB Type "Keyboard + Mouse + Joystick" everything works fine: On the PC, I am using "USB gamecontroller einrichten" - "Eigenschaften" and can see the full Joystick with its pushbuttons and axis (Screenshot 1)
However, when compiling with USB Type "Serial+ Keyboard + Mouse + Joystick", on the PC, only the Pushbuttons are shown, no axis (Screenshot 2)

Screenshot 1:
USBGamecontroller1.png

Screenshot 2:
USBGamecontroller2.png

Source Code
After several test with my own code I found out, that the application seems to be irrelevant. I verified the problem with the "blink" example from Arduino, which is of course not able to make use of the Joystick but shows the same behaviour regarding the initialisation as described above.

For completeness, I posted the code of the blink example here, but as I said, the code seems to be irrelevant.

/*
Blink
Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

This example code is in the public domain.
*/

// Pin 13 has an LED connected on most Arduino boards.
// Pin 11 has the LED on Teensy 2.0
// Pin 6 has the LED on Teensy++ 2.0
// Pin 13 has the LED on Teensy 3.0
// give it a name:
int led = 13;

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {
// initialize the digital pin as an output.
pinMode(led, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
digitalWrite(led, HIGH); // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
delay(1000); // wait for a second
digitalWrite(led, LOW); // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
delay(1000); // wait for a second
}

Is anybody able to reproduce this problem?

Dear community,

it would be great to know, if I am the only one having this problem. Could anybody give it a try and reproduce it?
I am also thankful for any hints, what I could try further.

Thank you, Christian

I see no problem with Win 10, IDE 1.8.7, Teensyduino 1.44, Teensy LC, Joystick example Complete.

skmj.png

Thank you :) gdsports!
I tested on two different PCs and had the problem on both of them.

I just studied your postings in this threat here https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/54227-Problem-with-Teensy-USB-HID-Joystick-implementation which is somehow related.
I am still not sure, if this is a bug on teensy side or on the PC.

I guess, I will try the following:
- try this joystick test application instead of using the windows properties: http://www.planetpointy.co.uk/joystick-test-application/
- test with more PCs I can get access to
- try your Teensyduino patch https://forum.pjrc.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15273&d=1543740882 from the threat mentioned above

I am aware, this sounds more like trial and error instead of analyzing the problem at its roots, but I guess I'd need lots of time to learn how to trace and debug HID messages. Currently, I'd have no idea how to do that.

I tried the same TeensyLC from yesterday on an up to date Win 10 PC and it shows the same problem you are seeing. The first test was before a large number of Windows updates were installed.

Tested TeensyLC with Joystick and Joystick + Serial on an up to date Win10 computer. Both options work. I updated the zip file on the other thread to enable Joystick + Serial on all Teensy 3.x and LC.

Tested TeensyLC with Joystick and Joystick + Serial on an up to date Win10 computer. Both options work. I updated the zip file on the other thread to enable Joystick + Serial on all Teensy 3.x and LC.

Just tested with Joystick + Serial and it works. @gdsports: thank you again for your help!

I built a special gamepad based on Teensy and want to use the serial connection for downloading different configurations.
Now, I can continue working on the configuration interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back