Teensyduino 1.45 Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a first beta test for Teensyduino 1.45.

Linux 32 bit:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_145-beta1/TeensyduinoInstall.linux32

Linux 64 bit:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_145-beta1/TeensyduinoInstall.linux64

Linux ARM:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_145-beta1/TeensyduinoInstall.linuxarm

Mac OS-X:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_145-beta1/TeensyduinoInstall.dmg

Windows:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_145-beta1/TeensyduinoInstall.exe

Changes since Teensyduino 1.44

Support for Arduino 1.8.8
Updated libraries: i2c_t3, Snooze
Teensy 3.6 overclock to 256 MHz (Frank B)
Fix serial begin() lockup if framing error received in FIFO when end() called
Audio add AudioControlTLV320AIC3206 (Chip Audette)
Teensy Loader icon added for Gnome desktop on Linux

If anyone tries the Mac version on Mojave (10.14), does it give a 32 bit code warning?

I saw one, but can't seem to reproduce it now. Trying to figure out if something from Teensyduino is still 32 bits and offending Mojave, or if it's part of Arduino?

If anyone tries the Mac version on Mojave (10.14), does it give a 32 bit code warning?

I saw one, but can't seem to reproduce it now. Trying to figure out if something from Teensyduino is still 32 bits and offending Mojave, or if it's part of Arduino?

macOS Mojave
Version 10.14.1

This is the exact sequence I followed:

1) Download Teensyduino 1.44
2) Run the Teensyduino installer
3) Realizing that I want to install it into Arduino 1.8.8 (not my current 1.8.7), download Arduino 1.8.8, mount image, rename Arduino to Arduino 1.88 and move to /Applications
4) Complete installation of Teensyduino into Arduino 1.8.8
5) Realizing that I should have run Arduino once before installing, I trashed Arduino 1.8.8, download it again, run it once, quit it, run the Teensyduino installer selecting Arduino 1.8.8 as the destination, and run to completion.
6) Now run Arduino 1.8.8.

I did NOT get the 32-bit warning at anytime during this process. My bumbling installation procedure included running the Teensyduino 1.45 installer twice, the unaltered Arduino 1.8.8 once, and a different Arduino 1.8.8 + Teensyduino 1.45 combination once.

Sorry for the complexity. But I thought it might be best if I reported what I actually did rather than what I intended to do.

Windows 10 unzip of arduino-1.8.8 install of TD 1.45beta1. No install or first run issues { had to manually accept to run unknown EXE } with upload at 180 MHz.

Do not see "Teensy 3.6 overclock to 256 MHz (Frank B)" on the CPU Speed menu list or in the boards.txt to enable?

Close IDE and add these lines to boards.txt and it works [ F_CPU==256000000 F_BUS==64000000 ]:
teensy36.menu.speed.256=256 MHz (overclock)
teensy36.menu.speed.256.build.fcpu=256000000

I've followed this steps on Ubuntu 16.04

1. downloaded and unzipped an Arduino 1.8.8 IDE
2. created a "portable" directory in the IDE installation directory
3. tested the IDE with some examples
4. downloaded and installed Teensyduino 1.45 for Linux 64 bit
5. added the udev rules
6. started the IDE again

I obtain a java null pointer exception (see attached txt file), while the graphic is messy (see attached image).

Question: how I uninstall Teensyduino for future tests?

UPDATE
Anyway the beta version of Teensyduino seems to work well my Teensy 3.2. I've compiled and uploaded two Teensy examples (LED blinking - with and without "threads") and both work flawless. :)
After minimizing and restoring the IDE-window, the graphic interface returns normal.
As I can see, the java null pointer exception is printed only after starting the IDE the first time. After the first compilation, the exception is no more printed.

Attachments

• java-exception.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Selection_549.jpg
    Selection_549.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
I've also done a Windows 10 Pro unzip of arduino-1.8.8 and installed TD 1.45beta1. No problems except that on the first try I didn't pay attention to what the TD installer was telling me and I installed TD over the top of Arduino 1.8.5 which I had installed ages ago.
I don't need 256MHz overclocking yet so I haven't tried @defragster's fix to boards.txt yet.

Pete

Circular_Buffer library not added yet since request on teensyduino 1.42 beta3 thread... DId I miss some registration process? :)

I got this warning once, too, and wasn't able to reproduce it. But that warning complained about "Arduino" and not about Teensy.

Re: 32-bit warning on Mac OS Mojave...

Installed and ran Arduino v1.8.8 + Teensyduino v1.45Beta1 with no warnings. BUT, according to this Apple support article, the warning only shows up once every 30 days. I've been finding and resolving such warnings for the last 2 months or so. I may have seen the warning for the Arduino IDE but I'm pretty sure I've never seen it for Teensyduino.

Aside: I see that there are about 4 dozen 32-bit apps in the IDE under ${ROOT}/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/{avr,bin,libexec} but those are not yours to worry about. (And they may not in fact be used on Mojave.)

One message, several replies...

Do not see "Teensy 3.6 overclock to 256 MHz (Frank B)" on the CPU Speed menu list or in the boards.txt to enable?

I've added these lines to boards.txt. Look for it in beta2 (coming soon)...

I obtain a java null pointer exception (see attached txt file), while the graphic is messy (see attached image).

Any idea whether Teensyduino is responsible for adding these problems, or if they would happen anyway on that Linux system?

Question: how I uninstall Teensyduino for future tests?

Easiest way is to just extract a fresh copy of Arduino. On Linux, the installer only writes to the Arduino folder. If you want a 100% clean slate, also delete the udev rule file and t hen momentarily unplug the USB cable. Linux udev notices file changes automatically, but the new config is applied at the USB add event.

After the first compilation, the exception is no more printed.

If Teensyduino is adding this problem, please remind me in about 6 months (well after Teensy 4 is released). Since it's only on Linux and only with the special portable setup and only a minor annoyance, I'm going to put off investigating for quite some time.

There are PRs for bugfixes which are not merged.

Merged both, just now.

Circular_Buffer library not added yet since request on teensyduino 1.42 beta3 thread... DId I miss some registration process? :)

There isn't a formal registration process.

Since Arduino now has a library manager, and the list of libs included with the installer is long, I've been reconsidering whether to keep growing the list. I've also considered a hack to the File > Examples menu, to tame the long list into groups. Still very undecided on this stuff.... (and honestly, putting it off until the new hardware is out)

At the very least, please add the library.properties, tag a matching release, and post an issue on Arduino's tracking asking them to add it to their library manager. That will reserve the library name, lessening the chance of conflicts with others in the future. Please also change the name or main header to match in use of capital & lowercase letters.

Paul: I saw this before - something on my windows system is pinging the Teensy Loader Verbose:
02:01:49.921 (ports 5): callback C116
02:01:49.931 (loader): Verbose Info event
02:01:51.937 (ports 5): callback C116
02:01:53.937 (ports 5): callback C116
02:01:55.942 (ports 5): callback C116

I found it here Teensyduino-1-42-Beta-8 - following post shows it was perhaps "Unsecapp.exe application is used to send results back to a client in a process that may not have permissions to be a DCOM service" - never confirmed it was that or why Teensy would spawn that? Maybe Windows need a udev type rule?

Is there a way you can identify and hide that 2 second recurring message? Each update not only pollutes the verbose info - but it scrolls the window preventing easy selection and cutting of text.

Thanks but my libraries were tailored for teensies and won’t compile on most if any arduinos due to their old toolchain and lack of C++ enhancements, and being teensy specific, so going through the hastle of their standards just to get rejected is not worth the extra effort. If I wanted to write for the AVR platform I wouldn’t be posting here :) I don’t really mind I know your too busy with new hardware and core stuff to have your own library manager and probably TeensyDuino is already getting bloated with libraries already, so thats fine

happy holidays

Thanks but my libraries were tailored for teensies and won’t compile on most if any arduinos due to their old toolchain and lack of C++ enhancements, and being teensy specific, so going through the hastle of their standards just to get rejected is not worth the extra effort. If I wanted to write for the AVR platform I wouldn’t be posting here :) I don’t really mind I know your too busy with new hardware and core stuff to have your own library manager and probably TeensyDuino is already getting bloated with libraries already, so thats fine

happy holidays

Perhaps you don't know a library can specify which architectures it supports. Your library does not need not be ported to AVR in order to be published to the Arduino Library Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back