Teensy 3.5 no port

Status
Not open for further replies.
I broke two of the 3.2s by hooking power into vbus instead of the vcc in. It would work fine for awhile, leading me to think everything was ok. Then it would just die.

-jim lee

I did a cold soak of the board outside and brought it in to program; no change. I'll buy another and see if it starts up as it should.

I'm thinking about re-flowing the board in my toaster oven in case there's a cold joint. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone for your help
Andy

I bought a cheap toaster oven, reflowed the board and it works! Kinda warped the pcb and the pins didn’t want to go back in the bread board, but it’s doing fine.

Last week Tues-Fri I was testing the circuit in my backyard. It experienced a fair amount of thermal stress swinging between 30-60 degrees F and when I brought it back inside Friday evening before it got really cold, it stopped working after being inside for about 30 mins. I spent probably 12-15 hours over the next two days trying to get it working again through troubleshooting and asking questions here.
Most people would throw it away and buy a new one (I did buy another, it will be here Wednesday), but I had a strong suspicion it had a cold solder joint that cracked.
Sunday my neighbors put a toaster oven on Facebook marketplace and I bought it this evening as a last ditch effort to use it as a reflow oven to hopefully melt everything and re-connect whatever cracked. It Worked!!!!

Yeah, but for how long?

In a past life.. I used to make engine controls for drag racing boats. Early on in the development process, I'd bolted a known working "Launch controller" into a test boat and if failed miserably. It worked on the bench, failed in the boat. Took it back to the bench and, of course, it worked again. Not that it was getting wet or anything. The entire product was a solid block of epoxy. In the end I found that the reason it was failing was that the mount didn't fit very well to the block and the forces of mounting it was putting odd stresses on the block -> transmitting these directly to the chip -> to the silicon. Screw on the base, part fails, unbolt it, part woks. Redesigned the mount to use rubber grommets and never saw that problem again. (Did toss out the cracked one though.)

Coud be a temperature thing?, Mounting thing?

-jim lee

I totally agree, it’s not to be trusted. It’s allowing me to continue prototyping in the meantime though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back