Live Setlist Midi Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripper

Hi guys.
I use Setlist Maker in a Ipad4 (and a Windows freeware as redundancy) to control by MIDI a lot of hardware devices for my recent band and we are almost done with the preparation of our first live show, althought we still have 2 months till the date.
I am concerned about the windows pc or the Ipad failing during the show and that is why i am here: Would it be too hard to have a device where we would put the song setlist with all the parts (Patches) per Song that included:
-PC# and CC# and, if possible, transposition and Key Range, all per Channel and MIDI Port?
-With 4 footswitches/pedals (1 for Previous Patch, 1 for Next patch, 1 for Previous Song and 1 for Next Song);
-5 Din MIDI together with USB-MIDI (just in case of being needed for something)
-A Display to show the Song and Patch Number (or Name depending on the size of the display or TFT i get)

I suppose it can be done with something like arrays and may need an external file to be able to edit the Setlist itself (Probably sent to a SD card), but i am not a programmer. I only made a Joystick Controller for my Korg M3, with a (LOT of) help from Oddson. Speaking of which i still need to make a decent enclosure for that. I made one but it is not good enough to show here.

PS: If I do this, I will make a second unit for redundancy, of course.

The device would merely send a 'scene' with each song, rather than play sequences?

That would be fairly simple with an array and loop that updated all non-null entries. Data could be stored in eeprom and load via sysex from external editor.

Each message would just be the four parameters and the generic .send method would be used for flexibility.

If you need timed sequences it's still possible but likely not feasible as a quick project as it would need an event system.

Hi oddson.
I don't forsee needing sequences, so, yep only scenes and songs.
Would the eeprom have enough size for a full show of some 50 songs with 4/5 scenes to be sent for 8 Midi ports plus some 1-2 channels each? I know the most part of the songs only have 2-3 parts but...

I forgot about the key ranges. I think that this is the most demanding part for the chip and the midi circuitry.

You need to spell out what you mean.

In the process you'll answer weather EEPROM will be big enough, if not there is the SD card.
There is enough EEPROM on the 3.5 for 1000 MIDI messages stored as four bytes. You may quickly outstrip this.

Might be a bit optimistic to have display and storage sorted in enough time to test.

You need to spell out what you mean.

In the midi controller keyboard i can have p.e.:
-Keys A1 to C3 for CC000 000 CC032 003 Patch 102 in Channel 1 to MIDI port X;
-Keys C#3 to C4 for CC000 000 CC032 005 Patch 6 in Channel 3 to MIDI port Y,
and
-simultaneously have a full keyboard range passing directly to Channel 1 port Z...

This would require a filter in the note signals coming out of the MIDI Controller Keyboard, entering the Teensy Setlist Controller, filter them and then spit out to the output ports. This is what concerns me the most in terms of liability (Stuck notes wouldn't be fun on stage)

In the process you'll answer weather EEPROM will be big enough, if not there is the SD card.

I am expecting the need for the SD card

That is fundamentally different from the scene feature. While handling thru notes with remapping isn't all that taxing for a Teensy, storing and handling the mapping data is another programming task you'll have to address.

A really general remapping feature will be tricky to implement as you need a scheme to encode the map data.

Is there anything on the file format for your set lists from your current app? Best solution would be file compatibility but it might be difficult.

Hi oddson.
I'm considering to have a spare pc, probably with KXLinux or AVLinux for this. Would be less troublesome and faster to implement, once that i already have the hardware. Won't be so elegant for what i wanted to do but i would be able to use it for more stuff. Only need to make a small pedal with 4 footswitches to send the fixed CC#'s.
Thank You for your time!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back