Uploading encrypted firmware support

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeahtuna

Hi Paul,

Years back you mentioned that you might include this if there was enough interest and funding available. How much money are we talking about?

The T_4 external flash is to be encrypted IIRC - not sure if that starts with an encrypted file during upload. Btu that seems to be part of native T_4 mcu support. Was it encryption for distribution before upload that was desired?

Encrypted updates will probably never happen on Teensy 3.x. Without a reliable hardware mechanism for storing & using the encryption key, security is at odds with "brickability". Even if you're willing to risk your own hardware, that's a rather dangerous path (easily brickable hardware) for PJRC to take. Even then, I'm pretty sure schemes we could actually implement on the Teensy 3.x hardware would have significant security holes, making them mere "speed bumps" to anyone seeking to copy your firmware.

I am seriously considering this for Teensy 4.x. The main difference is the hardware has secure key storage which is integrated with an encryption engine and a secure boot process (baked into the hardware) to support it. The really important hardware feature is managing the secret key. The 128 bits are burned into permanent "fuse" memory, then 2 more lock fuses are available. The write lock prevents any further changes to the key. The read lock makes the key forever unreadable to software, but the encryption engine has a direct path to actually use the key. The ability to properly manage the key, so it can be used, but can never be read again by anyone in physical possession of the hardware is the essential ingredient needed to really make encrypted firmware update secure.

Sounds good, Paul. I would obviously be extremely pleased to see this functionality added, even if it's only for my future designs. It's there any public information about Teensy 4.x? Would like to have some idea about the lineup you haven't store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back