Pushing firmware to Teensy 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBest

Hello All,
I've picked up bits and pieces from some other threads, and I don;t have a good feeling about what I'm going to ask, but here goes........

We're seriously considering using Teensy (3.2) as the basis for a new commercial product.

We need to be able to push firmware updates to the Teensy through a cellular modem.

Is it still true that we can only update firmware through the USB port? If that's the case, I'm not seeing how we can connect a cell modem that way. Is there a way? Or better.....can we reserve an area of memory for a bootloader that will use a serial port?

Thank You, Regards, and Happy Holidays
-John

Is it still true that we can only update firmware through the USB port?

Yes, this is still the case, BUT you could program your firmware in such a way that it can receive instructions and new hex files via serial line, and then would replace part of the flash code with new program, and issue a reset. Obviously, if something goes wrong, you have to use complete usb-based upload. But if you are careful, this should be possible.

Thanks WMXZ.
Thinking set aside some command to get ready to receive new hex code, then an acknowledgement that is transferred OK, then issue a reboot? CRC at both ends I suppose would be a good idea.
Do you know of a thread where anybodies perhaps done this?
-J

John, we also use T3.2 in a commercial product - this is something I have looked at but put it in the 'too difficult' pile (for now).
If you do find any information or make any progress you're willing to share, please keep me posted!

-- Iestyn

Years ago was a thread
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/28283-Program-two-independent-Arduino-sketches-into-Teensy-3-1
that uses two independent programs on a teensy
Maybe the link gives an idea how to do it. (prepare application firmware for own start address, jump to application on reset if serial line is not active, otherwise load application to new start address)
The link refers to uTasker's bootloader for Teensy.
Be aware, in the past Paul was reluctant to advice on this, so you are on your own.

Uups. So then please ignore my link, that code was probably not removed without serious reason. Sorry for the confusion.

Frank's code was cool and I beta tested where it would startup - pull new code from SD then restart. Those Teensys went unbricked and still in use. It worked on up to half of flash size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back