Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Disconnect Pin in Software

Disconnect Pin in Software

Is there any way to have a pin disconnected via software?

I've built a PCB for a LED strip project but realised I may need to use a serial port pin for the strip's data signal due to interrupt issues. If I simply add a jumper wire from the new pin over to the old, is there a way (via software) to stop the original pin interfering with the signal? Ultimately, I could probably just cut out the original pin's connector but I'm just trying a less destructive approach first.

Thanks!

Possible. Depends a little from which pin. The chapter 10 of the Teensy 3.2 and 3.5 processor reference manuals and chapter 11 for the T 3.6 explains the pin signal multiplexing and gives hints on how to set the corresponding pin multiplexer register to the Alt0 function which in most cases is a passive high-z mode.

Is this the right answer?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    ... use INPUT_DISABLE to put the pin back to a mode where the digital circuitry (with slight leakage current) is turned off.

That’s probably a right answer but the OP wouldn’t learn as much from that as if he had studied the reference manual...

Quote Originally Posted by Theremingenieur View Post
    That’s probably a right answer but the OP wouldn’t learn as much from that as if he had studied the reference manual...
    Quite right on learning … though so many manuals I find it easier to read the forum and the code. _DISABLE probably isn't in the manual but something PJRC codified to restore the power up 'passive high-z' state.

For inquiring minds look at :: ...\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3\pins_teensy. c for void pinMode(uint8_t pin, uint8_t mode) where this happens:
    Code:
    else { // INPUT_DISABLE
    			*config = 0;
    		}

Thanks for the answers, I appreciate the help.

Even I agree on the learning - Having an answer with an explanation is always preferred as the problem is often not knowing where to start looking. In this case, I wasn't sure if it was a question primarly about Teensy, MCUs or basic electronics.

why would you jump a wire? some pins have multiple capabilities, like using the same pin for the led strip and serial
    by changing it’s MUX config

It's because the Non-Blocking WS2812 LED Library requires using a HW serial port.

ahh ok reread custom pcb with bad pin location, makes sense
    by default all pins are in a low power disabled state (hi-z) so don’t need to configure the “dummy pin”. just a wire jumper should do it and run library as normal