Slow upload speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calphool

Is there a setting somewhere to speed up the upload speed in the IDE? I've got a Teensy 3.6, and it takes a good 30 seconds to upload a simple sketch. Something tells me I've got a baud rate set funky somewhere.

Is there a setting somewhere to speed up the upload speed in the IDE? I've got a Teensy 3.6, and it takes a good 30 seconds to upload a simple sketch. Something tells me I've got a baud rate set funky somewhere.

upload is done via USB-HID. there is no baud rate setting.
What do you mean exactly by 'takes a good 30 seconds to upload a simple sketch'? measured from when to when?
is time the same when uploading blink.hex.
is time the same when pressing program button?
what system, Windows,MAC,Linux?

Measured from when I click "Upload" to when an LED turned on in setup() lights up. I see "Uploading..." in the IDE for about 30 seconds, and then as soon as it finishes (message switches to "Done uploading"), the LED lights up within a second or so.

I'm using a Macbook Pro.

I haven't tried uploading blink.hex.

On macOS, I *sometimes* observe a phenomenon, that something seems to wait for a kind of timeout before the upload really starts. This happens when the Teensy loader is not in the foreground. That’s why I’ve developed the automatic reflex to press cmd+TAB immediately after clicking on upload, in order to bring the Teensy loader window on top, which makes the upload start immediately.

Yeah, this is exactly what it was. As long as that loader program is in the foreground, everything uploads quickly. Seems like a bug to me.

I'd not say a bug, rather an annoyance. And it's not always the case. Some macOS versions seem to block the window access when it is not in the foreground, others don't. The current 10.14.3 beta does. In ever case, it's not a Teensyduino problem. I'm observing the same with several other applications, too. For example with LTSpice IV, the curve tracer and fft windows make the whole program hang when the main window tries to draw into these while they aren't in the foreground.

Which version of MacOS are you running?

I must confess, every test I've done on Mac and Windows in the last year has been with the Teensy Loader window visible. Could you be more specific about what you mean by "that loader program is in the foreground"? Remember, I can't see your screen, I have no idea what sequence of mouse clicks you're doing. Maybe this means you've simply moved another window, so it "underneath" something else on the desktop? Or maybe it means you clicked the yellow button in the title bar to "minimize" the window, and it's being represented as an icon in your MacOS dock on the bottom edge of the screen? Or maybe something else?

I'm on 10.13.6. It's not a huge issue, just sort of a pain. Basically, if you're in the Arduino IDE, if you press CMD-U (compile/upload), if you don't CMD-Tab over to the Teensy loader window, you'll sit there for a while until something wakes up and decides to initiate the upload (or finish it, or who knows, since it's hidden from view). As soon as it's visible though, it uploads right away. It's also possible to get yourself into a weird little glitchy situation that requires powering off the Teensy. So let's say you're in this "limbo" state where you've initiated an upload with CMD-U, and then, before it actually uploads you do a CMD-M to see your serial window. I'm not quite sure what happens, but you get an error message that the upload failed, and then it refuses to upload until you've powered down the Teensy and brought it back up.

Like I said, not a huge deal, but you have to get into a habit of Cmd-Tab'ing (or at least I have to... could be just my machine I guess) after an upload to avoid the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back