Useful Up-to-Date Tutorials for Beginners...do they exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquaFina

Hello,

This is more of a general post so I won't be attaching any code. I really like Teensy but I'm having a terrible time getting started because I am new to electronics and microcontrollers. I've tinkered with Arduino Uno and Mega 2560 but that's it. I decided to check out Teensy (first I tried 3.6 with Audio Shield ...but I fried it so now 3.2 + Audio Shield via the Tutorial kit). I do have a specific project/goal but when switching over to Teensy I found that finding tutorials that are current & up to date for beginners are few & far between. Perhaps my google skills suck?

I love this forum and I've done as much reading but it is completely overwhelming to a newbie. It's like a tornado of information.

I kindly ask for any links & resources from you smart people here. All I've really done is look through the pjrc forums (and failed google searches) but after awhile I feel like a hamster on a wheel because I don't fully understand everything.

A specific example is...I would like to randomly play samples from the Flash memory. In the forum, I see conflicting instructions on how to get the RAW files onto Flash memory...much of which appears to be outdated. And each time I try a method...I fail. It's like everyone here is ultra smart and omitting steps that are assumed to be known. For instance...I was so stupid, I didn't realize I needed to do run: cmd on Windows10 for the command prompt (derp!) in order to try out the TeensyTransfer (another fail). I would really love a tutorial for beginners on how to get RAW files onto the audio shield Flash memory. I have 100+ RAW files that I want to put on there and play randomly using the hardware TRNG. When I try the SerialFlash example...in the Serial Monitor, it will list the first RAW file then freeze for hours. I don't know what to do. :(

Another example is...I would also like to use the Talkie library but can't get any of the examples to work. I think the audio shield may be the reason but cannot find any examples of Teensy 3.2 (or 3.6) + the Audio shield. I only see examples using the Prop Shield which I have but isn't soldered. I am waiting for my husband to do that for me.

I also have some Emic2 boards here (my original intention) -- uno & mega had a stack/heap problem due to String usage. Unfortunately...with the emic2 there is no way around that problem and String usage is required. I'd love to know how to wire a Teensy 3.6 to emic2. I already fried one 3.6 but have another on hand if I can find instructions.

So...basically l'm asking for any links / resources that may help me since I'm so new. I'm so new I don't even know how to ask the right questions! :)

Maybe Santa will deliver me this present. Doesn't hurt to hope.

Merry Xmas & Happy Holidays to all! :)

Thank you! I have seen this link before but I think my membership to the pjrc forum was not good earlier...because now I can actually download attachments. Hopefully, it will make sense to me as that link is for a very complex (and amazing) project! The wiring to the emic2 seems to be tripping me up. I think that is how I fried my 3.6 because I mistakenly had 2 power sources to the Teensy. Going to read your link and study the attachments. Thanks again, tonton81!

The Talkie lib just outputs on Teensy DAC - it has examples - they note use of the PROP shield AMP to take the DAC output to speakers.

I worked with that though it was just with the PROP/PROP_LC shield - just for the AMP.

The Audio lib is exclusive of Talkie - if you got the Tutorial kit - going through the Tutorial covers a lot of ground and should leave you with ideas to move on given one of the examples that is close to what you want to build on.

TeensyTransfer is indeed a bit of a pill to work with - but once all set up it did function. That can be used with Flash included on Prop shields - or with a flash added to the Audio shield.

The Teensy is designed to be largely compatible - with the exception being those libraries that rely on AVR specific coding. Often there is a Teensy Library to work through that.

Thanks, defragster. As a newbie, it makes sense for me to follow the same hardware setup that the examples use. But...if I wanted to modify the Talkie library to work with my audio tutorial kit...which uses the audio shield for output, could I easily do that? Or is it only for prop shield? And I'll keep trying to get TeensyTransfer to work. I'm sorry for the newbie questions. Just feeling overwhelmed. I suppose it's part of the learning curve process. I'm stubborn and even though I may not be the smartest or fastest learner...I don't give up and I truly enjoy studying. :) Thank you for the info...and happy holidays!

:) I went through the Audio Tutorial - but never dug in - not sure what it can do with the DAC output to feed it to headphones or other?

The nature of the Talkie is that it pings the DAC Analog value on a timer to make what sounds like sound from the encoded data. So it is tied to a Teensy DAC because of that. And the encoded data is limited and I didn't come across a way to replicate the process that made itto extend it.

My background is coding - so I'll play with something if it looks interesting - like making Talkie be non-blocking queueing up sounds and immediately returning - it used to BLOCK as it was imported from AVR world - starting a sound made the CPU wait until it was done.

There is a lot more to learn and do with the Audio library and board so that tutorial is a good introduction - I bought one of the PJRC T_3.2 kits as well went through it and then never got back to anything but a sample from the forum or two answering a question. I sampled the TeensyTransfer as Frank was writing it to help make sure it worked - but didn't do anything with that worthwhile to leave a tutorial.

If you can get to a point with something you want to do and can post details where you get stuck the forum can be helpful with things like that if what is already here doesn't help. Google/Bing is the best way to search the forum with the idea in mind and the right keywords.

I was able to get emic working with both 3.2 & 3.6. Apparently my audio cable was bad! So, in the future I will check the most simple things first! lol I will continue to try to get TeensyTransfer to work later on. Thanks again to defragster & tonton81 for your helpful advice. Merry Christmas!

So often the simple things that are trusted cause such grief and confusion.

Glad you are working - that is much more rewarding! Merry Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back