Teensyduino Install - Has it Worked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boing707

Hi, and apologies for what is an extremely basic question I'm completely new to Teensy. I have installed Arduino 1.8.8 on Mac OS Mojave and run the Teensyduino installer v 1.45. Everything seemed to go OK but I'm concerned that I can't see any evidence of the Teensy software in Arduino. There is no mention of Teensy in the list shown by the Boards menu for example. Perhaps this is because I have no actual board plugged in (it's in the mail !) or pehaps something is wrong with the installation. Can anybody advise on how to verify correct installation of Teensyduino please?

Thanks
Steve

1) make sure you have only one copy of Arduino on your machine. your Teensyduino might have done its thing on another copy.
2) you should see Teensy boards in the IDE if the Teensyduino install was successful
3) you can compile a sketch for a Teensy board (even if you don't have the hardware), and a Teensy loader window should pop up. On the top menu bar, select Teensy > About and it will tell you the version of the teensy loader

in the old days on mac os, after installing the Arduino IDE, you need to run the IDE once before doing the Teensyduino install. Make sure no Arduino IDE is running when you do the Teensyduino install.

There is no mention of Teensy in the list shown by the Boards menu for example. Perhaps this is because I have no actual board plugged in

That's a sure sign the copy of Arduino IDE you're running does not have Teensyduino installed. Teensy is supposed to appear in the Tools > Boards menu, even when no hardware is connected to your Mac.

When you click Arduino > About, you should see this info where the Teensyduino version is shown.

screen.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Running the IDE a second time seems to have worked some magic as I now have Teensy in my list of boards. That brings me to the next problem. When the IDE launches it opens a sketch window with a load of Java exceptions in the output window (can't find a way to copy the output unfortunately). If I open the Blink example it appears in a new window after a wait of more than 30 secs. Strangely there is no Validate button in the window itself but the sketch can be compiled from the menu dropdown. I've updated my Java, but no change. Something corrupted perhaps?

Maybe you're hitting this bug? It's a known issue in 1.45, affecting new (never before used) Arduino IDE installs.

Select anything in Tools > Ports, even if just you bluethooth adaptor. Then quit & restart. The bug only happens when nothing has ever been selected for a port.

The 1.46 beta has this problem fixed. But just selecting a port will get you past this bug.

Maybe you're hitting this bug? It's a known issue in 1.45, affecting new (never before used) Arduino IDE installs.

Select anything in Tools > Ports, even if just you bluethooth adaptor. Then quit & restart. The bug only happens when nothing has ever been selected for a port.

The 1.46 beta has this problem fixed. But just selecting a port will get you past this bug.

Sorted - brilliant! Many thanks - now I just need to wait impatiently for my Teensy 3.2 to arrive.

I am using Teensy 3.6 under Win 10 and when using Arduino IDE 1.8.7, my code (fairly large at 210K) compiles just fine. However, if I attempt to compile the same project with Version 1.8.8, it aborts the compile saying there are duplicate definition errors. After some sleuthing around, I found that both the Audio library and the OpenAudio_ArduinoLibrary contained these two files:

control_tlv320aic3206.cpp
control_tlv320aic3206.h

which was generating a dup error in 1.8.8, but not in 1.8.7. I removed those two files from the OpenAudio_ArduinoLibrary file and 1.8.8 compiles/uploads without error.

My conclusion is that there is some difference in the parsing between the two releases and duplicate definitions are now handled differently. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If you want to download the source files for a check, it's an Open Source project and you can download the files at hamradiodesigns.com.

Hi,

I have just come back to getting going with Arduino and looking at using teeny 3.5. I have also just changed to a Mac, so this is a bit new to me. I managed to transfer all my old files, and after a bit of messing about I have managed to get Teensyduino installed and I can see all your processors. I can compile your examples, however I cannot find the library files on the computer. In particular I have been looking for Timer1.h. Can you tell me where I might look?

Hi,

Its amazing what posting a problem can do to get the brain cells going to find an answer. I had not realised that the 'Arduino' file in the applications directory is a folder. Its all buried in there, so no need to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back