Teensy with Atmel Studio 7 + Visual Micro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino

Hi,

Am porting my Arduino program over to Teensy LC but because of its size I prefer to use the extra editing features of Studio7 +VM.

Have found two 2013 threads in this forum about using Teensy with Studio+VM, but only bare info and nothing since ?

Has anyone successfully run Teensy with these programs or if not, can suggest a better alternative ?

thanks

Well got Teensy working OK on Studio 7 etc, however one little problem exists that as a beginner am not sure whats the best way to handle things.

It relates to the Teensy Libraries, eg OneWire.
If I build a Teensy project with the default Arduino OneWire it gives an error until I replace it with the Teensy version, but if I then change back to a pure Arduino project that needs OneWire it seems to compile and work ok using the Teensy Onewire.

So it suggests (?) some of the Teensy libraries are cross compatible, but suspect some are not ?

Rather than renaming the libraries each time, is there some better way to handle the libraries when switching between Teensy and pure Arduino projects ?

Ah, just found one of Pauls earlier answers to the same point, though wonder if anyone has since found a simple workaround.

Currently thinking/trying out using a USB stick with a Portable version of the Arduino IDE just for Teensy projects ...?

This is a "feature" of Arduino. You can force Arduino to use your own copy of a library by putting into your sketchbook libraries folder, which by default is Documents\Arduino\libraries.

Trouble is, when you put a copy of SPI, Time and Wire in there for some particular project, they will always get used even when you don't want them to be used for another project. The only solution is to move them out of that folder.

Last edited:
Hi Dino, could you explain in detail how did you use the Atmel Studio 7 programming environment to program and debug Teensy cards?
I have a Teensy 3.5 and the new 4.0, but I still can't use Atmel Studio in connection with these two cards
Is possible execute code step-by-step ?

Hi Dino, could you explain in detail how did you use the Atmel Studio 7 programming environment to program and debug Teensy cards?
I have a Teensy 3.5 and the new 4.0, but I still can't use Atmel Studio in connection with these two cards
Is possible execute code step-by-step ?

Its a while since I tested things out with a little Teensy LC board.

Do you have the Arduino IDE eg 1.85 or above ? as its easier to set things up via that.

Assuming its loaded, you need to install this-
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

That will then allow you to run , say the Blink example sketch , just selecting the Teensy board and port from the Board Manager drop down menu. that should work fine...

However for larger projects you may find you have to use one of the Teensy libraries instead of the Default Arduino ones, as I found above with the OneWire library.
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs.html

To run your Arduino work on Atmel 7 you need to install the Visual Micro free plug in.
https://www.visualmicro.com/

Once that installed you either open a New Arduino Project or an existing Arduino project, and away you go. You can still access the Teensy project from the Arduino IDE.

For projects with large amounts of code it makes editing so much easier, though not really used Atmels debug features, but there are some quiet detailed Ytubes on doing just that.

000012.jpg View attachment 17294 000015.jpg

Attachments

• 000014.jpg
    000014.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 150
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back