lost setting 'Tools/USB Type' from Arduino Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

kizz

Hi. I apologise if this is a) in the wrong place and/or b) if this is a repeat. I could not get a search term to find an answer that made any sense to me.

The latest version of Arduino code no longer has the option under tools, to select USB Type.
I made (using an excellent teensy) a USB button box for a Truck Driving Sim on the PC. It has joystick and many buttons. Was recognised us a USB Gaming Device by Windows 10. One is still working. I want to create another, better improved version, but....

I am about to buy a couple more teensy 2's as they are excellent for this build, but if the code no longer compiles because the menu item has been removed, has anyone any idea of a way forward please?

code from below shows that the USB Type needed to be selected.

(I rolled back the arduino software to 1.8.7 but it still did not have that option...)

/* Complete USB Joystick Example
Teensy becomes a USB joystick with 16 or 32 buttons and 6 axis input

You must select Joystick from the "Tools > USB Type" menu

Pushbuttons should be connected between the digital pins and ground.
Potentiometers should be connected to analog inputs 0 to 5.

This example code is in the public domain.
*/

// Configure the number of buttons. Be careful not
// to use a pin for both a digital button and analog
// axis. The pullup resistor will interfere with
// the analog voltage.

Click Help > About (or if using Macintosh: Arduino > About). This will show which version of Arduino and Teensyduino you have. If no Teensyduino version is show, that's a sure sign this copy of Arduino does not have Teensyduino installed. You would need to run the installer again to get it installed.

Next, click Tool > Boards. You need to select a Teensy board. If you have any other non-Teensy board selected. Arduino's menus automatically adapt to whatever board you select, so do this step before looking at any other menus.

Hopefully this will give you the Tools > USB Type menu. If not, you help you further we'll need to see a screenshot.

Hi Paul

Click Help > About (or if using Macintosh: Arduino > About). This will show which version of Arduino and Teensyduino you have. If no Teensyduino version is show, that's a sure sign this copy of Arduino does not have Teensyduino installed. You would need to run the installer again to get it installed.

Next, click Tool > Boards. You need to select a Teensy board. If you have any other non-Teensy board selected. Arduino's menus automatically adapt to whatever board you select, so do this step before looking at any other menus.

Hopefully this will give you the Tools > USB Type menu. If not, you help you further we'll need to see a screenshot.

I am trying to locate a teensy++ to go here to try this out.
I'm on windows 10, not a mac. The version of Arduino Software is currently 1.8.0 having tried each version upto and including the current version. 1.8 I believe. The teensy software worked fine a few days ago when I tested out another sketch I use for a beating clock heart.
I don't know what a screenshot will show you, do you want to see the menu being opened? I can put it up on YT if you like, no problem, tell me exactly what you want to see and I will try my very best. As for right now, my heart is on empty.
My Teensy ++ has a older usb socket, will have to go grab one from the rack.

Will update soonest, (half hour)

Setting up screen capture, but in the mean time Paul, I have looked at Help:About on Arduino software (1.8.0) and on Teensy software (Teensy Loader 1.33)
In my drop down on the arduino sw, under 'Tools'/'Board', there are no teensy products listed now. Unable to select the board as it now seems not to be listed. 'Get board Info' needs a board selected to work. And , 'Port' is 'seeing' Arduino/Genuino Uno on Com4....
I looked under 'Board Manager' and do not see any additional items that would give me access to the teensy boards.....
Boards Manager output: http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/p...hpsecu.re/esp8266/package_deauther_index.json

It might be easier/faster to do a fresh install, instead of searching for the problem for hours..

I re-downloaded the Teensy Loader, and used it to install Fast blink and then when that was in and blinking, slow blink. Ok, so the Teensy ++ is connected to the PC and is communicating with the teensy loader.
I downloaded the latest build of Arduino, now (1.8.9 )
Checked libraries again and still no sign of teensy boards, so am unable to tell the arduino software that a teensy board is on the end of the USB cable.
I am really certain that I found Teensy under examples in its own group following the arduino listings examples... well its aint there on my windows 10 PC. The adafruit playground is there... Any help Paul would be very appreciated. Let me know what you want in the screen shot, I'm in UK so go to bed around 11 pm, about 45 minutes after posting this.
Cheers.

It might be easier/faster to do a fresh install, instead of searching for the problem for hours..

Hi, Yes, I have downloaded the current teensy loader ( see one of my replies) and the latest copy of the arduino software (see above reply). Board is Teensy++ and loads fast blink and then slow blink from the teensy loader, so now I'm flummoxed.

I re-downloaded the Teensy Loader, and used it to install Fast blink and then when that was in and blinking, slow blink. Ok, so the Teensy ++ is connected to the PC and is communicating with the teensy loader.
I downloaded the latest build of Arduino, now (1.8.9 )
Checked libraries again and still no sign of teensy boards, so am unable to tell the arduino software that a teensy board is on the end of the USB cable.
I am really certain that I found Teensy under examples in its own group following the arduino listings examples... well its aint there on my windows 10 PC. The adafruit playground is there... Any help Paul would be very appreciated. Let me know what you want in the screen shot, I'm in UK so go to bed around 11 pm, about 45 minutes after posting this.
Cheers.
So when you click the menu tab - Help -> About Arduino, you see the (Arduino 1.8.9) (Teensyduino 1.xx) ver #.
Pic. example:
about teensy.jpg

The latest release TeensyDuino 1.45 only supports the latest RELEASE IDE 1.88

>> Teensyduino 1.45 supports Arduino versions 1.0.6 and 1.6.5-r5 and 1.8.1 and 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 and 1.8.7 and 1.8.8.

It won't install on daily builds or unsupported versions if that is what 1.8.9 is

update

The latest release TeensyDuino 1.45 only supports the latest RELEASE IDE 1.88

>> Teensyduino 1.45 supports Arduino versions 1.0.6 and 1.6.5-r5 and 1.8.1 and 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 and 1.8.7 and 1.8.8.

It won't install on daily builds or unsupported versions if that is what 1.8.9 is

Thanks @defragster
Soo... Teensy build 1.40 I downloaded in last 24 hours, and this morn I d/l arduino 1.8.8...
arduino build 1.8.8.png

teensy 1.40.png

Though the teensy is plugged into a complete usb cable to a primary usb port, and happily loading and running the blinker hex file as described on the PJRC website, my build still has no teensy recognised by the arduino software on my licenced windows 10 box. Under 'tools/Port' isee only Com1, lol....

arduino tool menu drag.jpg

I will go back to PJRC website and trawl for further information and or updates. See, this was working earlier this week. An auto update from arduino and my world is falling apart.

Any ideas are happily explored.

update *** Found the 1.45 installer software on PJRC

1.45 loader error.png

well, it gives me something to do for half an hour. will let you know soonest...

Exploring Ideas

Last edited:
Good, you're on the right path. Arduino 1.8.8 and Teensyduino installer 1.45 is the right combination.

update *** Found the 1.45 installer software on PJRC

View attachment 15535

This error means something on your PC is not allowing the installer to write to the Arduino files.

The first and easiest step is to reboot your PC. This error may be caused by a lingering copy of Arduino in memory, even if the program seems to have quit. The easiest way is to fully reboot, then run the installer before you do anything else.

This error can also be cause by anti-virus or anti-malware, including Windows Defender (which is part of Windows 10). If you still get this error after a fresh reboot, you may need to temporarily disable those programs so the installer can work. The installer does not use any internet access, so it will work if you unplug from the internet (safest while anti-virus is temporarily disabled).

We are making progress, light is seen at the end of this long dark tunnel...

progress.png
'finished install'

Re-installed the 1.45 loader and ...

~Finished.png

So looks like we are in. I will run soime builds and try to identify what went wrong. The loader worked less than two weeks ago seamlessly, no changes were made , yet after the auto update from Arduino.cc, my simple setup was trashed.... I have no explanation.

Thanks to all for your help, it is appreciated greatly.

Still exploring endlessly.

I did kill arduinos running and used Task Manager as well. There was a Json loaded, killed that and it went in ok. Kaspersky A/v has an exception list, to which I added Arduino and I am sure I added PJRC Teeny software as well, anyway, it did not hiccough.

Seems like stuff is running again, let me load a few of my sketches and confirm it. Many many thanks for your excellent guidance as always.

Exploring the sad art of exploration.

### update ###

ArduinoTeensy.png
Splash from Help about showing teensy ok now ;)

***Last note on this for now*** The auto update of the Arduino build happened immediately before a power failure and an unwatched restart. I have no idea if this was to blame. All seems to be well and I seem to have features I am sure I did not have before, so maybe updating Arduino caused me to update the teensy loader software too, so it's not all bad. Again, Many kudos to Paul and all those guys that offered good solutions.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back