Teensy 3.5 5v output

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanzimm

Hello,

I am fairly new to using the teensy microcontroller. I am currently using the teensy 3.5, I was just wondering if I needed 5v output from the microcontroller to give power to a sensor which pin would I use? Arduinos have a 5v pin which you could connect to but I don't see the same with the teensy 3.5

None of the I/O pins have 5V output. They're all 3.3V out.

You'd need to use a buffer chip like 74HCT245 or 74AHCT125 to convert the 3.3V signal to 5V. If you need a true 5V output, these buffer chips are the best way.

There is also a popular mosfet transistor "bidirectional level shifter" circuit. It can be used in some applications, but the logic high output is weak (only due to a 10K resistor). The low-to-high transition is low. The high-to-low case is fast, and sometimes that's fine, but for other uses the huge difference in speed between the 2 changes can create problems. Some website sell that small circuit with big promises that it can be used as a drop-in solution whenever you need to convert levels - without much mention of the weak output and slow rise time. Buyer beware.

What I am powering the teensy with an external power source and not through usb?

Then that is going into Vin - and there is no source other than that and the 3.3V the Teensy generates from Vin. Another 5V supply wound be needed if the external source doesn't supply that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back