MIDI serial (DIN) to usbMIDI issues: got weird MIDI messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

garubi

The context:
In my MIDI Drawbar controller based on Teensy LC I use both usbMIDI and serial MIDI (i.e MIDI IN and OUT with DIN plugs).
The whole thing is configured so it can accept MIDI messages from both the IN (usb and serial), merges them with those generated by itself as a controller, then output them to both OUTs (usb and serial).

The issue:
While serial MIDI IN to serial MIDI out doesn't have any problem, when I try serial IN to usbOUT i get any sort of random MIDI messages and values.

I really can't understand what's wrong with the thru/merge implementation: I more or less derived it from the "Interface_3x3" example (obviously reduced to 1x1).

Here is a stripped down script that only merges and forward messages from serial IN to usb and that can be used to reproduce the problem, just open a midi monitor that reads the usbMIDI and try some note on note off or CC...

Code:
#include <MIDI.h>

// Create the Serial MIDI ports
MIDI_CREATE_INSTANCE(HardwareSerial, Serial1, MIDI1);

// A variable to know how long the LED has been turned on
elapsedMillis ledOnMillis;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT); // LED pin
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);
  MIDI1.begin(MIDI_CHANNEL_OMNI);
}

void loop() {
  bool activity = false;

if (MIDI1.read()) {
    // get a MIDI IN1 (Serial) message
    byte type = MIDI1.getType();
    byte channel = MIDI1.getChannel();
    byte data1 = MIDI1.getData1();
    byte data2 = MIDI1.getData2();

Serial.println(type, HEX);
    Serial.println(channel, HEX);
    Serial.println(data1, HEX);
    Serial.println(data2, HEX);
    Serial.println("---------------");

// forward the message to USB MIDI virtual cable #0
    if (type != midi::SystemExclusive) {
      // Normal messages, simply give the data to the usbMIDI.send()
      usbMIDI.send(type, data1, data2, channel, 0);
    } else {
      // SysEx messages are special.  The message length is given in data1 & data2
      unsigned int SysExLength = data1 + data2 * 256;
      usbMIDI.sendSysEx(SysExLength, MIDI1.getSysExArray(), true, 0);
    }
    activity = true;
  }

// blink the LED when any activity has happened
  if (activity) {
    digitalWriteFast(13, HIGH); // LED on
    ledOnMillis = 0;
  }
  if (ledOnMillis > 15) {
    digitalWriteFast(13, LOW);  // LED off
  }

}

I'm really confused because, looking at the Arduino's Serial monitor output, looks like the serial MIDI IN Type is just wrong before being used by usbMIDI, but on the other way it just can't be wrong since it is sent right to the serial MIDI OUT (this thru part is handled directly by the MIDI library)...
Note that if I just output data generated by the controller to usbMIDI I've got no errors at all.

Technical info:
  • Teensy LC
  • Arduino ver 1.8.7 on Windows 10
  • Teensyduino ver 1.44

Libraries used in my sketch: (don't think they matter since even the super-stripped-down sketch abve shows the problem...)
  • #include <Wire.h>
  • #include <Adafruit_MCP23017.h>
  • #include <Bounce2.h>
  • #include <MIDI.h>
  • #include <ResponsiveAnalogRead.h>

Any suggestion is appreciated!
Thank you

Stefano

I can only test this on a Teensy 3.6 but your code works with no problems. The text below shows some Note on/off messages but it also works when I send Control Change messages.

Code:
 ===> MIDI-OX Version: 7.0.2.372
 ===> Log Opened: Tue 15-Jan-2019 10:09:16 ===>
 TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT               
 000272F1   2  --     90    3C    32    1  C  4 Note On               
 0002738E   2  --     80    3C    00    1  C  4 Note Off              
 00027468   2  --     90    3E    35    1  D  4 Note On               
 000274F5   2  --     80    3E    00    1  D  4 Note Off              
 000275EF   2  --     90    40    37    1  E  4 Note On               
 0002766C   2  --     80    40    00    1  E  4 Note Off              
 00027766   2  --     90    41    2A    1  F  4 Note On               
 000277F2   2  --     80    41    00    1  F  4 Note Off              
 0002791B   2  --     90    43    43    1  G  4 Note On               
 00027989   2  --     80    43    00    1  G  4 Note Off              
 <=== MIDI-OX Log Closed: Tue 15-Jan-2019 10:09:43 <===

I notice that your code treats any non-sysex MIDI message as if it had three bytes. Note on/off and Control Change are 3-byte messages but Program Change, for example, is two bytes and Active Sense is one byte.

Pete

I can only test this on a Teensy 3.6 but your code works with no problems. The text below shows some Note on/off messages but it also works when I send Control Change messages.

Hi Pete, thanks for your feedback!

I notice that your code treats any non-sysex MIDI message as if it had three bytes. Note on/off and Control Change are 3-byte messages but Program Change, for example, is two bytes and Active Sense is one byte.

Pete
Hmmm, you are right, but that code is barely a copy-paste from the MIDI_3x3 example and I presumed it works.

I'm now upgrading to the latest Arduino and Teensyduino, for both I'm on the second-last version.
I don't think this will change anything, but worth a try.

Stefano

The usbMIDI send function does not differentiate between 2 and 3 byte MIDI messages so that isn't causing a problem.

Pete

looking at the Arduino's Serial monitor output, looks like the serial MIDI IN Type is just wrong before being used by usbMIDI

Maybe there's a hardware issue?

Is this the schematic?

drawbar-commander-schematics.jpg

This input circuit doesn't look right.

4N35 optocouplers are marginal for MIDI. Normally much faster parts recommended, like 6N138. Even if you do everything perfectly, you can expect at best poor signal quality with this sort of part.

But this schematic looks far from the right way. In fact, pretty much everything about it on the output side looks completely wrong!

Normally the emitter connects to ground and the collector is the output. Normally a pullup resistor in the 220 to 1K range is used on the collector. Here's one circuit I found online which looks right (as good as 4N35 can be), but of course you would use 3.3V with Teensy LC. DO NOT CONNECT 5V, since Teensy LC is not 5V tolerant.

MIDI_connections.png

However, I would not recommend this circuit at all.

This page has the recommended MIDI circuit to use with Teensy.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_MIDI.html

td_libs_MIDI_sch_t3.png

A few important points...

6N138 is a much better part to use for MIDI. It's faster, so you get good signal quality at 31250 baud.

The 6N138 needs 5V power, and a 0.1 uF capacitor.

But you get a 3.3V output because the 470 ohm resistor connects from pin 6 to 3.3V. Make sure you do not connect that to 5V. The resistor is what determines the signal output voltage, even though the optocoupler has 5V power.

Using a low value resistor like 470 ohms gives a good fast rise time. You need this for a high quality MIDI signal. The internal pullup resistors inside Teensy are much too weak. Use a real resistor and make sure it's in the 220 to 1K range, so you have a fast rise time on the signal.

If you do want to try using that 4N35 (since you already have it), connect it similar to that known-good circuit (pin 4 to GND, pin 5 as the output). But replace the 560 ohm resistor with 220 or 330 ohms, and connect it to 3.3V instead of 5V. That will give you a 3.3V output compatible with Teensy LC, and using a lower value resistor will keep the 4N35 near its best current transfer ratio when using the lower voltage. Odds are good it will work, but the signal quality probably won't be as good as 6N138.

One more quick comment... that schematic from the Hackaday.io site would be correct for a PC900 optocoupler, which used to be the most commonly recommended part for MIDI (until Sharp discontinued it several years ago).

Maybe this schematic originally meant PC900, but then was changed to 4N35 without testing or considering the 4N35 isn't anything like the old PC900.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
thank you very much for your deep analysis and suggestions!

Yes, I start thinking that is an hardware issue... especially now that I ha read your posts :rolleyes:

Is this the schematic?

View attachment 15614

This input circuit doesn't look right.

Mmmm, I built the MIDI interface months ago and I can't remember... It could be that I changed something that proved to be wrong during the breadboarding phase but then I haven't updated the schematics.
I'll open the controller and check the wiring and the components...

One more quick comment... that schematic from the Hackaday.io site would be correct for a PC900 optocoupler, which used to be the most commonly recommended part for MIDI (until Sharp discontinued it several years ago).

Maybe this schematic originally meant PC900, but then was changed to 4N35 without testing or considering the 4N35 isn't anything like the old PC900.

Yes, this could be the case. I remember that at the time I had troubles finding the right optocoupler and at last resorted to a "passable" one. It could be that I swapped one for another without much attention.

I'll open the controller in the next few days and let all you know my findings ;)

Thank you again for the help

Stefano

In the meantime a re-tested the serial MIDI IN to serial MIDI OUT, connecting the OUT to a real MIDI monitor and not only to my musical expander and it proved to send out any sort of garbage too.
So I can assert that is not a problem with only serial MIDI IN to usbMIDI OUT (as I wrongly said in my first post).

Looks like it's really an hardware problem at serial MIDI IN

Thank you again, I'll keep you updated

Stefano

Jumping in this thread because I was having a similar issue and figured I shouldn't create a separate post. Just a couple of days ago I was trying to get MIDI-in working with the 6n138 and schematic posted below (Teensy 3.2)
td_libs_MIDI_sch_t3.png

It was outputting very strange/unusable data. Eventually I tried connecting a 1k resistor between pin 7 and GND and like magic it worked great. Does anybody know why this might be?

The 1k resistor from pin 7 to ground would be what I'd call a Pulldown resistor. When the photo transistor turns off, effectively the base of the second transistor is left floating hence it's actual switch-off behaviour may be determined by it's own peculiarities rather than what we're sending it. eg. The transistor may be a little leaky, noisy or whatever. So the pulldown yanks the base cleanly to ground in the same fashion as a pullup. I always thought it good practice to use a pulldown in this situation and yeah I'd be lookin at 1k here too.

Have built a number of Midi devices using the 6N138 (without the pin 7 pulldown) and have had no problem with 'em, however an off-the shelf Midi Shield (6N138) occasionally inputs garbage so I guess this prompts me to eat my own words and tack a pulldown on pin 7 and see what happens.

Hope this is useful

Hey I know I'm quoting myself here

however an off-the shelf Midi Shield (6N138) occasionally inputs garbage

Turns out the culprit was a dodgy 6N138 so duly replaced with a 6N139 and a quick test showed that the device is working correctly again.

WRT the 1k pulldown on pin 7:-

Hooked a square wave generator @20 Khz to Midi in and looked at Output pin 6 with my CRO and observed that the rising edge looked more like the first quadrant of a sine wave, the falling edge - as square as one would reasonably expect given that it is pulled low by the output transistor.

Starting with 4k7 and working downwards found that 1k pin 7 pulldown yielded falling edge and rising edge with a similar degree of squareness.

Unfortunately my Jurassic CRO does not have a screenshot button so I can't post the image in any case for me the jury is out. From now on all 6N139's I press into service for Midi in are gonna get that 1k.

[resolved]

The last weekend I opened the controller and checked the circuit... and as Paul suggested it was wrong...
I used the 6N139 but connected as if it was a P900 or maybe something else...

So I removed the wrong paths and components, replaced with the ones suggested in the schematic at https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_MIDI.html and now all is working! :eek:

Thank you for the support!

p.s.
I updated the schematic both at Hackaday that on Github:
https://hackaday.io/project/162255-midi-drawbars-commander
https://github.com/garubi/MIDI-Drawbars-Commander/tree/master/schematic

Jumping in this thread because I was having a similar issue and figured I shouldn't create a separate post. Just a couple of days ago I was trying to get MIDI-in working with the 6n138 and schematic posted below (Teensy 3.2)
View attachment 15622

It was outputting very strange/unusable data. Eventually I tried connecting a 1k resistor between pin 7 and GND and like magic it worked great. Does anybody know why this might be?

I was having the exact same problem. I was troubleshooting for hours. I tried the 1K resistor from pin 7 to GND as you recommended and BAM, everything worked perfectly. I think it might be worthwhile for Paul to add that to the official schematic. I have some seemingly legit 6N318's from Mouser, and I imagine a lot of people will have the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back