Get audio out from a MIDI controller when it is not hooked to a computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colorado_hick

My instrument has both MIDI and audio out functionality.

However the audio out is not working unless it is hooked up to a computer, unless I change the board type to something else then it no longer works as a MIDI controller.
What do I need to do so it will work both when I am just using the USB port for power and looking for audio out or using it as a MIDI over USB controller?

Code:
https://github.com/jonHickam/teensy...lope-pitch/36-joystick-vol-envelope-pitch.ino

More overview:
https://hackaday.io/project/163160-chromatic-button-synth

Thanks!!

Hi,

I'm not sure I completely understand, but looking at the code, you are using one of the on board DAC, so you should likely only configure the board for Serial+Midi. Then you can use the USB port for power or power+MIDI. Is the device perhaps locking up here if not connected to a PC?

Code:
  Serial.begin(9600);
  while (!Serial) {
    ; // wait for serial port to connect. Needed for native USB port only
  }

Yeah I commented out the wait for the Serial to hookup, but it still will not work unless I have it hooked up to a computer. I am hoping that I can just use a USB power supply when I am not doing MIDI. still stuck...

You should be able to - I have done in the past (I think). Perhaps someone else can help?

What I *always* do with any Teensy project is use a different UART for debugging, which would really help you to see what is going on with lots of print statements.

Colorado....
"My instrument has both MIDI and audio out functionality." ..... If your instrument has both MIDI out and audio out then your instrument MIDI out if plugged to MIDI IN on your PC should use the MIDI synthesizer of the PC to generate audio on your PC independent of the audio out from your instrument. also If you plug your instrument audio out into the PC audio-in or to an amplifier audio-in you should hear the instrument audio independent of the the MIDI out from the instrument or PC.

You also say ... "However the audio out is not working unless it is hooked up to a computer" ... How is it hooked up to the computer, MIDI IN, MIDI OUT, or Audio only or both..??
"unless I change the board type to something else then it no longer works as a MIDI controller" .... what is the something else..??..needs clarified...

"What do I need to do so it will work both when I am just using the USB port for power and looking for audio out or using it as a MIDI over USB controller?"

Are you wanting Teensy to replace the whole instrument or just accept the MIDI out signals and provide audio out.?
Teensy can both accept and generate MIDI signals (serial) and also generate the audio (DAC or I2S).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back