Audio Tutorial - Getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to follow the Audio Tutorial PDF.

I'm using Arduino 1.6.5.

I go to the path File > Examples > Audio >Tutorial and the files I see are not nearly as extensive as those listed in the PDF. What am I doing wrong - what's the correct path?

Thanks!
Dan

What do you see? On Arduino 1.8.5., Windows 10 I see:
20190118_223023.jpg
(After I selected a Teensy 3.5 in Tools > Board)

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the tutorial kit that contains the Teensy 3.2. However, the PDF says 'requires Arduino 1.6.5 or 1.6.6.' That's why I used that program. When I look at Tools > Board I see 27 choices, none of them being Teensy 3.5. Tools > Board displays 'Arduino/Genuino Uno.' Now, to confuse me even MORE, I thought I was downloading Arduino 1.8.5, but the top of the window displays 'Arduino 1.8.8. What am I doing wrong?

Did you install the Teensyduino? If you don't select one of the Teensy boards at Tools > Boards, then you won't see the Teensy libraries in the menu.

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the tutorial kit that contains the Teensy 3.2.

I just want to be clear what hardware you are using. Are you using the fully assembled Audio Tutorial Kit, or did you build your own audio tutorial using the extra parts kit?

I just want to be clear what hardware you are using. Are you using the fully assembled Audio Tutorial Kit, or did you build your own audio tutorial using the extra parts kit?

Yes, I'm using the fully assembled Audio Tutorial Kit. It does seem to work, the orange LED flickers, and turns off when I press the button, and then I got it to blink & beep like the tutorial said,

I just can't get the Arduino (maybe the IDE program) to agree with what the tutorial PDF shows.

Thanks for your help

Did you install the Teensyduino? If you don't select one of the Teensy boards at Tools > Boards, then you won't see the Teensy libraries in the menu.

When I go to Tools > Boards, it displays 'Arduino/Genuino Uno.' Do I need to change that to another board? The Teensy included in the Audio Tutorial kit is a 3.2. 3.2 is not listed as a choice on the list that is displayed for Tools > Boards.

Does this forum have a chat feature? That way we could 'talk' to each other more or less in real time, rather than over the course of hours posting notes.

Thanks for your help

You need to run this installer. Quit Arduino first, since it adds lots of files to your copy of Arduino.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Then run Arduino again and select Teensy 3.2. Arduino updates the File menu depending on which board, so you should find the examples after Teensy is selected.

Ok, I think I've tried to DL both of those installers. I get a message to the effect that 'Win 10 has an installer and doesn't need this one.'

Which one do I need to use?

Windows Serial Installer
or
Windows XP / 7 / 8 / 10 Installer

I am using WIN 10

Thanks for your help

I tried, again, to DL & install both of these programs. They both give a message that there is a Windows installer program on my computer & that this program is unnecessary. And, it is version 1.45 & the PDF tutorial specifically says to DL version 1.26. I am SO confused!

Maybe you're downloading the wrong version of Arduino? Hard to make much sense of any of this, with these imprecise descriptions of the error messages. Any chance you could start giving us screenshots, so we can actually see the same thing you're seeing?

This is the page where you download Arduino.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

You need the 1st one, called "Windows Installer, for Windows XP and up".

DO NOT get the "Windows app Requires Win 8.1 or 10". That one does not work with Teensyduino. If you have previously tried that one, fully uninstall it before getting the correct installer ("Windows XP and up").

Again, use the "Windows XP and up" installer.

sc.png

Thanks Paul
I uninstalled all the Arduino versions & reinstalled the version you've specified, Arduino 1.8.8. It runs & displays a text that probably needs to be resolved. Here's a copy & paste of that text:

void setup() {
// put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void loop() {
// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

Here's a screenshot - I hope!

Arduino 1 8 8 screenshot.jpg

I see the lower right corner still says "Arduino/Genuino Uno". That means you haven't selected Teensy 3.2 yet from the Tools > Boards menu.

The 31 page tutorial has pretty good step-by-step instructions, at least in the first sections. Less is spelled out as each little thing as you go, on the assumption you've learned the prior parts and have gained some familiarity with what to do.

I know getting this first bit can be a chore if you have never installed or used Arduino at all. Hopefully you're on the right path and things will become more intuitive as you go?

Thanks, again, and for your patience with me.

Yes, this is my first attempt at using an Arduino.

Yes, I know about the "Arduino/Genuino Uno" choice. I don't see an option to select the Teensy 3.2. I'm trying to follow the 31 pg tutorial, but I can't seem to resolve what the instructions tell me to do, the files to DL & such, with what I'm finding when I go to the links. Here's a screen shot of what I see when I follow the Tools > Boards menu.

Arduino Boards Menu.jpg

You must install Teensyduino to be able to select Teensy 3.2 in the Tools > Board menu (needed for the Audio Tutorial)

Before you install Teensyduino
No_Teensyduino.jpg

After you install Teensyduino
Teensyduino.jpg

Hi Defrager:

I HAVE downloaded this program! Arduino 1.8.8. See my post #13.

Thank you for your help and patience.

Last edited:
Hi Robin

I've been to this link - https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

And I try to follow the instructions on this page. What I wind up with is this

Teensy Duino.png

When I go to Help > About it says it is: Teensy Loader 1.40 - not Teensyduino. Here's another screenshot.
Teensyduino 2.png

They both seem to run, but they don't seem to interact. That is, I get what you've shown in your first image, but NOT what you've shown in your second image. What am I missing?

Thank you for your help and patience.

The TeensyInstaller needs to be run on that copy of the IDE to have the Teensy Board family show up.

From this post the needed program is Windows XP / 7 / 8 / 10 Installer - the Teensy Duino installer.

Indeed the IDE is the Arduino 'integrated development environment' >> "Download the Arduino IDE" as noted on their page already you already downloaded https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software - also shown in Paul's post #10 screenshot … so many TLA's to learn

This post was in response to a question asked ... to explain IDE … and notes : "you already downloaded "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back