Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: 2019 Teensy 3.6 lcd/touch screen larger than ili9341

2019 Teensy 3.6 lcd/touch screen larger than ili9341

I have used the ili9341 in numerous projects. It was great for the Teensy 3.2,
    but the Teensy 3.6 and upcoming 4 are have so much more potential.

Given its January 2019 (there are lots of older threads)...

Is there any functional code for a larger display/touchscreen than the ili9341 ?

thanks,

Richard

How much larger?

Look at Buydisplay.com for other size displays. Some larger ones may still be compatible with ILI9341 drivers. Their 8" unit using RA8875 is compatible with a driver written by a fellow here named 'SumoToy'. Beware of some SPI bus quirkyness though that is mentioned in other threads here.

Unfortunately sumotoy hasn't posted here since June 2017.

The gamedunio3 has support for Teensy 3.2, Arduino, and ESP8266. There are two versions. I have the smaller version that I got during the kickstarter campaign, but I haven't done much with it other than do the examples when I got it. The display memory is in the unit, so you send it commands to render the screen and handle touch input. It has a SD card on the display and can handle video and sound. The small version at least uses an Arduino shield footprint.

Depending on the project details, using a Nextion HMI display might make sense. These exist in different sizes from 2.4 to 7 inch and have touch functionality. They have an integrated cortex M0 processor and a free editor allows designing, compiling and uploading screens, fonts and images. Different components like text box, gauges, progress bars, waveform display objects and much more might be used. Simple event handling can be done directly in the display with an easy to learn macro language. The advantage is that the Teensy does not longer have to draw the screens and to handle the graphics stuff, but it will only receive touch events from and send text, values, and commands to the Nextion, which saves tons of memory and cpu cycles.

Thanks,

Like so many of us, I enjoy the quest; however, sometimes I just want to get something working.
    I ordered the Gameduino3 and the Nextion.
    Both seem like great solutions. I will update post on my findings.

thanks for the tips,

Richard

The down side to the Nextion is the atrocious serial speed (max per datasheet is 115000bps).

Quote Originally Posted by Donziboy2 View Post
    The down side to the Nextion is the atrocious serial speed (max per datasheet is 115000bps).
    That seems to be a handbrake at a first glance, yes. But since no graphics, fonts and other heavy payload (it's all already precompiled in the display) has to go over that connection, just the raw data to display and a few 3-letter macro commands, that is not an issue. Updating for example a progress bar will just need to send "pb0.val=50" and (if you aren't using advanced protocol reparsing techniques) three 0xFF bytes as a terminator. The addressed screen element will refresh automatically afterwards. So, you transmit 13 bytes (roughly 1.128ms) only instead of several hundreds to do a full or partial screen redraw from a frame buffer. Especially at higher screen resolutions (available up to 800x480) where a full screen redraw in 16bit color mode would require sending 800x480x2 = 768000 bytes, this makes sense, and on top of that, eats much less Teensy resources.