Problems with 3 or more Teensys on USB-Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moriarty

Hello,

I have problems with USB-Hubs. I use Teensy 3.2. The Software seems not important, because the problem
also comes with the Blink-Example.

I have USB-Hubs with 4 Ports. If I plug in 2 Teensys, everything works fine.
On 3 or 4 Teensys, only 2 can be read by the PC (Windows 7). The other have the error code 10 (cannot start).
The Software on the Teensy seems to work, because all boards blink. USB Device Tree Viewer cannot read the
USB-Descriptor.

I tried two other USB-Hubs. One has the same problem the other works but it has other problems so I can’t use
them for my project.

Does anybody know a solution? Or an USB-Hubs which works with 4 or more Teensys?

Thanks,

Moriarty

Attachments

• errorUsbTreeView.png
    errorUsbTreeView.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 54
  • errorWindowsDeviceManager.png
    errorWindowsDeviceManager.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 63
I'm currently running 3 Teensy's on a powered Rosewill (Newegg branded) USB2 7 port hub no problem - Windows 10. Used two other older USB2 4 port hubs Dynex and Connectland - both also worked - but were not powered. Last year had at least 3 on a 4 port hub that doesn't even show a name - that worked well also. Since I started here Feb 2015 on Win 7 I regularly ran multiple - that was another Rosewill 7 port hub that I think is in another room now - I can't how many I may have run on Win 7 as I moved to Win 10 as it was released.

Generally 3-4 is a small workable number with a decent hub. Windows gets upset with rapid connect disconnect or partial connects and seems to put devices on timeout. Unplugging ~10? mins, restarting machine, or moving to another port with the hub may be needed at times if a device wasn't fully mounted before removal or some interrupting event.

Make sure each is loaded with working Blink and USB Serial and plug them in without interruption after a fresh reboot - on a known good cable - upload each perhaps with blink and 'while( !Serial);' in setup() then printing something on blink and open each in turn with Serial Monitor to know Windows properly associated them.

I repeated this test on Windows 7, using two 4-port hubs. Seems to work fine.

Here's a photo where you can see both hubs and all 6 boards, and the screen where Arduino is detecting all 6 COM ports.

6boards.jpg
(click for full size)

The silver "Kingwin" hub in the front is plugged into the no-name blue hub in the back (together with 2 more of the boards), which is plugged into the USB port on this laptop.

FWIW, the silver Kingwin is a USB3 hub, where the USB2 side is a Single-TT type. The blue no-name hub is a USB2 only hub, with Multi-TT protocol.

Hello,

I have problems with USB-Hubs. I use Teensy 3.2. The Software seems not important, because the problem
also comes with the Blink-Example.

I have USB-Hubs with 4 Ports. If I plug in 2 Teensys, everything works fine.
On 3 or 4 Teensys, only 2 can be read by the PC (Windows 7). The other have the error code 10 (cannot start).
The Software on the Teensy seems to work, because all boards blink. USB Device Tree Viewer cannot read the
USB-Descriptor.

I tried two other USB-Hubs. One has the same problem the other works but it has other problems so I can’t use
them for my project.

Does anybody know a solution? Or an USB-Hubs which works with 4 or more Teensys?

Thanks,

Moriarty

I am curious if you figured out the problem? I am also having this problem and I need to run at least 13 teensys. A mix of 3.2's and 2.0++.
The most I have been able to get working is 7 and thats with multiple multi TT hubs.Seems I can only get 3 per hub. Anymore and windows seems to put them in a suspended timeout.
I have also tried using shorter usb cables as well as switching to 3.0 usb hubs. Mind you I am using these for flight simulation.

I'm currently running 3 Teensy's on a powered Rosewill (Newegg branded) USB2 7 port hub no problem - Windows 10. Used two other older USB2 4 port hubs Dynex and Connectland - both also worked - but were not powered. Last year had at least 3 on a 4 port hub that doesn't even show a name - that worked well also. Since I started here Feb 2015 on Win 7 I regularly ran multiple - that was another Rosewill 7 port hub that I think is in another room now - I can't how many I may have run on Win 7 as I moved to Win 10 as it was released.

Generally 3-4 is a small workable number with a decent hub. Windows gets upset with rapid connect disconnect or partial connects and seems to put devices on timeout. Unplugging ~10? https://clickandbuild.com/ mins, restarting machine, or moving to another port with the hub may be needed at times if a device wasn't fully mounted before removal or some interrupting event.

Make sure each is loaded with working Blink and USB Serial and plug them in without interruption after a fresh reboot - on a known good cable - upload each perhaps with blink and 'while( !Serial);' in setup() then printing something on blink and open each in turn with Serial Monitor to know Windows properly associated them.

huge thanks for this reply. will try your method and may update later how it worked. hopefully it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back