New Scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank B

Since it's my birthday this month, I thought I'd buy a new scope. So far I have a cheap USB scope, which is not really good (especially the software is bad, from Hantek), and a Logic analyzer Saleae Logic 16 (+ some multimeters)

The new scope should be inexpensive, and usable for most of the microcontroller measurement tasks and audio.
I discovered the Owon SDS1102 (1GS/s, 100MHz Bandwidth). I like the price, and as far as I have read about it, it should be quite usable(??)

https://www.owon.com.hk/products_owon_sds1000_series_super_economical_type_digital_oscilloscope

http://files.owon.com.cn/specificat...ype Digital Oscilloscope technical spec.s.pdf

Do you think this scope is Ok for hobby?

That seems to be about the same price (EUR 217,99).. so which is better ?
Is the Software for the DSO5102P OK ? (I have a Hantek 6022BE - It's software is sh*t..really... lol.. anyone wants it ? I sell it)
Don't I need better probes if I do the hantek 200MHz hack?

I am the wrong one to ask about the pros and cons between the scopes, and yes you would probably need better probes. I haven't ever tried a different scope but just by looking at the customer ratings on Amazon it seems they were good as any other scope.

I had a couple usb pc scopes and really hated them that's why I picked up the DSO5102P. My other ones are in the junk drawer somewhere.

The Owon SDS1102 is about ~200-230EUR here. Yes I saw the siglent, too. It would be nice to save 100 - 200 Euros.. .. Rigol seems to be in the 300-400EUR area too... If you say the cheap scopes (Owon/Hantek) are not worth the money, I wait a bit and buy a more expensive one.. or I keep my hantek (it's ok for audio..)

@mjs my birthday is on 25th

Happy Birthday!

I just bought a Rigol MSO5074. A bit higher than your budget of 200EU but inexpensive for a higher end 4 channel scope.
Changing the device software configuration (increased BW, memory depth, decoders etc) is very easy :cool:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/
There is a FW update scheduled for this month. We will see if Rigol closes the hole and/or how long it takes to hack the new FW

There is active development on reverse engineering the logic analyzer input pod with the goal of a lower cost knockoff

Ok, Should I buy the Hantek? 200MHz sounds good.
4 Channels are good, but I don't think I need them... for digital signals, the LA will work.

Hallo Frank,
I think you're better off by spending a little more and don't get disappointed. A few months ago I had the same thoughts and ended up with this scope:
Siglent-SDS1202X-E.
The feature that finally made me choose the Siglent was the realtime decoding of serial busses like I2C and SPI. very useful.
Sofar, the scope has not disappointed me [on the contrary!]

Gruesse,
Paul

Just looked at the Siglent on Amazon, and added to my wishlist. If I am ever going to buy another scope think I would spend the extra money and gotten the Siglent. It looks like its well worth the extra dollars over the hantek and no hacks needed.

Mike

I have debated with myself as well about getting a scope or not. So far I have been able to do most things like the Logic Analyzer (Saleae Pro 8), which does show analog values as well... Obviously more limited for Analog stuff...

The only sort of scope I have was an old USB scope that Parallax sold before their later version...

So again I debate on if I were to get another piece of hardware for debugging stuff, in my case would the Scope help out or would I get more usage out of a USB analyzer? Like the Beagle... But then the Beagle 480 would cost a lot more...

But if you do get the Hantek, it will be interesting to see how well it works for you... My Birthday is soon, but not this month ;)

But if you do get the Hantek, it will be interesting to see how well it works for you... My Birthday is soon, but not this month ;)
Mee too.
I've ordered it (219.-- EUR) a few minutes ago. For decoding protocols I have my LA (..which can decode all sorts of protocols, but I've never really needed that function ;) )

The Hantek is a good option if it can handle the speeds you work at.

Me?

I have an ancient HP Agilent 16702a, with 16533 card(500MHz sample rate 2Channel DSO) a 16522 100MHz state /500MHz timing module, and 2x 16550a cards(100MHz state/500MHz timing, connected so that I double the memory of the 96 ports on the first card)

I've considered gettng another 16534 card to make it into a 4channel beast, but getting proper probes for it is... rather expensive.
(I may get a better logging card than the rather slow and memory-limited 16550 cards, though)

I don't use it very often, though, as it's noisier than my airbrushing spray booth...

The Hantek is a good option if it can handle the speeds you work at.
I have an ancient HP Agilent 16702a, with 16533 card(500MHz sample rate 2Channel DSO) a 16522 100MHz state /500MHz timing module, and 2x 16550a cards(100MHz state/500MHz timing, connected so that I double the memory of the 96 ports on the first card)

I've considered gettng another 16534 card to make it into a 4channel beast, but getting proper probes for it is... rather expensive.
(I may get a better logging card than the rather slow and memory-limited 16550 cards, though)

I've extensively used a 16900 chassis with a 16962 card at work. I even wrote a full suite of Labview drivers that fully automated the capture process. I wouldn't buy one for home use, though, also because of the high price of replacement cables and probes. The little wires connecting pogo pins on the end of the high speed differential cable always broke and I was always soldering them back together.

FrankB said:
I discovered the Owon SDS1102 (1GS/s, 100MHz Bandwidth). I like the price, and as far as I have read about it, it should be quite usable(??)

I have the OWON SDS7102V and I really like it.

However, I recently saw a post on Hackaday about hacking a Tek TDS744 into a TDS784 which is a really nice scope. I would share the link from the eevblog.com website, but it seems to be broken now. I occasionally see these on ebay for ~$500 and the hack makes them a 1GHz input bandwidth scope.

David

Last edited:
I got a Siglent SDS-1104X-E for my birthday (last month).
4-channel @ 100MHz, hackable to 200 (did not do that as for now).
Very nice screen, quick to respond to controls, very compact. Can be operated over LAN, which comes handy.
Stock probes should be good enough even at 200MHz (of course better probes would be... better :) ).
This is just for reference; I know Frank already ordered his Hantek (arrived? Do you like it?).

Fernando

I'm positively surprised. I haven't tested much yet, but the first impression is good. Good handling, fast operation, good display.
No operating instructions. An enclosed flyer with a google translation of the technical data - incomprehensible. All in all, I'm satisfied for now - tomorrow I'll try more.

@mjs: Thank you for the link!

@Frank B
Would send you the links but have no idea where they are now, and they are too big to upload. I put them in my WIP repository: https://github.com/mjs513/WIP/tree/master/Henetek. And here is the 200Mhz hack: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/

I just tried to update to the newest firmware from january2019, but the scope says it cannot find it on the usbstick ?
http://www.hantek.com/down.aspx?url=http://www.hantek.com/Product/5000P/DSO5102P_Firmware.zip

Thanks strange, assumed you unzipped and just put the .up file on the stick. Know its a silly question but had to ask.

Yes :)
Ok, it does not like my USB-Sticks.

Took a 8GB SD-Card and a card-reader. This works.
I hope the upgrade-trick works with the newest version, too. I'll give it a try in the next days..

Have now to close all windows .. there is a big fire in town. The radio said to close the windows - There may be toxic fumes.

Yes :)
Ok, it does not like my USB-Sticks.

Took a 8GB SD-Card and a card-reader. This works.
I hope the upgrade-trick works with the newest version, too. I'll give it a try in the next days..

Have now to close all windows .. there is a big fire in town. The radio said to close the windows - There may be toxic fumes.

Should have thought of that. I just happened to use an old memory stick I had laying around, think it was only 4gb which work fine - but it was a really old on.

Hope everything is all cleared up soon with the fumes from the fire and you all are safe. Hope they told you all to stay in as well

@mjs: Have not patched the scope so far - but what I can say is, it is far better than I had expected. One of my best buys / decisions. For my usage, it's perfect. I love the "autoset" and "measure" - buttons ( digital scopes are still new for me.. my old USB-Scope was unusable.. i guess all of the newer scopes have these buttons, but....)

(I hope this not SPAM :)

Have still to figure out how to send a Screenshot to the PC directly (without usb-stick).
I see there are unpolpulated solder-pads on the board - are they for ethernet?

@mjs: Have not patched the scope so far - but what I can say is, it is far better than I had expected. One of my best buys / decisions. For my usage, it's perfect. I love the "autoset" and "measure" - buttons ( digital scopes are still new for me.. my old USB-Scope was unusable.. i guess all of the newer scopes have these buttons, but....)

(I hope this not SPAM :)

Have still to figure out how to send a Screenshot to the PC directly (without usb-stick).
I see there are unpolpulated solder-pads on the board - are they for ethernet?

Glad you are enjoying the new scope. Thought it was a good buy for my purposes as well. I did the hack just for the fun of it you might say. The triggering is good as well, that helps a lot.

I always just put the screenshot on the usb stick or taken a picture from my phone so can't help you there. Never saw anything about ethernet associated with the board - you may have to poke around the net for that question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back