Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Midi 2.0

I can't find anything on the new protocol details... just the capability inquiry sysex additions.

Lots of promise but is it ready?

Quote Originally Posted by oddson View Post
    I can't find anything on the new protocol details... just the capability inquiry sysex additions.

Lots of promise but is it ready?
    That link has a conceptual map of how it works. The specification is available for download to registered users on MIDI.org, but I had issues creating an account. I'll have to fire off an email.

It looks like there's backwards compatibility, so we should be able to create MIDI 2.0 hardware devices that work fine with existing MIDI drivers and systems.

Is the spec secret, like you signed or clicked a NDA?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    No, it's not secret. I created a new account and I was able to download the spec from that link in the first post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midi20.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	16005

Sorry, couldn't resist this silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    MIDI CI isn't secret, it is available now.

MIDI 2.0 had an interop plugfest at NAMM this year but the spec is still secret unless you are a) a paying member of the MMA or EMEI or b) have signed an NDA.

The MIDI Manufacturer's Association (MMA) is rather old-school when it comes to transparency. They release the final approved spec and nothing beforehand, even if that takes years. I have been encouraging them to be more open and have drafts for public review, for a couple of years now.

MPE is an example where a leaked draft spec totally helped with adoption, so when the final spec was released there was already momentum behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nantonos View Post
    MPE is an example where a leaked draft spec totally helped with adoption, so when the final spec was released there was already momentum behind it.
    If anyone knows of any leaks this time around, please send me the link? Or just the PDF...

Quote Originally Posted by Nantonos View Post
    MIDI CI isn't secret, it is available now.

MIDI 2.0 had an interop plugfest at NAMM this year but the spec is still secret unless you are a) a paying member of the MMA or EMEI or b) have signed an NDA.

The MIDI Manufacturer's Association (MMA) is rather old-school when it comes to transparency. They release the final approved spec and nothing beforehand, even if that takes years. I have been encouraging them to be more open and have drafts for public review, for a couple of years now.

I can understand that. MIDI is used in live performance where you literally _cannot_ have errors. It's not ok to fix it and carry on.

There's always a risk with standards that if you release a draft too soon the draft spec becomes over-adopted in beta warts and all. That happened with DALI (Lighitng interface). They've had to rebrand now to DALI 2, what was originally DALI-Ex as the specs changed so much since the draft and the market ended up utterly confused - and they still are.

MIDI 2.0 can be transmitted over cables that don't have such bulky connectors...

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne76 View Post
    MIDI 2.0 can be transmitted over cables that don't have such bulky connectors...
    They just agreed on the polarity for Rx/Tx over TRS... unrelated to the protocol and applies to MIDI 1.0 as well. Was decided before 2.0 and is lumped in just as marketing.

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/tr...d-and-released

LOL this too sweet to delete.. so much effort .. what to do? just block "them" (Melanie @ Dianne with the same IP)?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    LOL this too sweet to delete.. so much effort .. what to do? just block "them" (Melanie @ Dianne with the same IP)?
    Did I miss something?

....oh.... same ip... does it belong to Midi.org?

Soon you will see spam-links in their posts.

Pretty 'on topic' for spam placeholders. Kudos.

Let's wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Let's wait.
    I'm definitely waiting... for a leaked PDF. Not a website requiring registration, no NDA, not a teaser about something related that isn't the real spec, but the actual spec or a late draft expected to be close to the final spec.

If anyone were to post such a thing, or anonymously email it to me, I'd definitely read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie5 View Post
    Yes agreed..MIDI 2.0 can easily be transmitted through cables,which makes us avoid the use of bulky connectors..Which i guess is a major advantage of it.Cheers
    About to get banned for post with bogus link on another thread https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/55494:::

"Melanie5

Yes its beautiful work...Anyone would fall in love with this kind ..."

… now for Dianne76 to make a helpful new post ...

Quote Originally Posted by defragster View Post
    About to get banned for post with bogus link on another thread https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/55494:::
    ttrockstars
    "Melanie5

Yes its beautiful work...Anyone would fall in love with this kind ..."

now for Dianne76 to make a helpful new post ...
    Thank you so much....

@Dianne76 - Welcome - what is your favorite thing about Teensy ? Just the MIDI utility it offers?

There appear to be some 'new' details available about 2.0 (despite "articles-old" in the URL some content appears to be very recent).

While there is no full release, it gives some description of message architecture which I've not seen before.

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/de...perty-exchange