Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Midi 2.0

I'm eagerly awaiting MIDI 2.0 on a Teensy someday, though I fully understand Paul's request for certain prerequisites.

Right now I've got a Teensy-based MIDI controller that works great but only with 1/4 of its capabilities enabled at any given time. It will only realize its full potential once 2.0 is more widely available. Until then, I will keep refining other aspects like the UI, ergonomics, etc... patiently (could be a couple more years before 2.0 really matters, who knows).

I appreciate the effort both past and future on MIDI support.

reading Paul's p#23 - it seems it needs to be established and commonly available to use an off the shelf device with support of a common OS.

Until then following the spec might get something technically correct - with lots of work to verify - and then have an audience of ONE person testing on some specific hardware.

Right. Like I said I'll wait patiently. Eventually though this will trickle down into most electronic music gear, I hope, instead of this going the way of Super Audio CDs. MIDI 1.0 has been incredibly useful and has a lot of room to improve so I am optimistic.

Any update on a library for MIDI 2.0 for Teensy? I see the new Teensy 4.1 has easy Ethernet hookup with the added header, so it would be a great match.

There still aren’t many MIDI 2.0 compliant devices to test with. The USB spec was released, so we may see Apple and Microsoft build it into future OS updates, which would help get things started.

If you’re looking for more expression Or resolution you might check out MPE, or OSC, which are already established. You can also accomplish a lot of the MIDI 2.0 parameter exchange using standard sysex and following the spec, which would make your code forward compatible (in theory).

Just to repeat what I said on msg #23:

I'm not going to actually *do* anything until at least one operating system has a driver and at least some sort of software we can use for testing. I might also wait until at least 1 moderately priced product is available implementing MIDI 2.0 as a USB device, so I can watch what it actually does with my USB protocol analyzer.

If anyone wants me to implement MIDI 2.0 on Teensy, please be prepared to point to where I can get those 3 things.
    Pointing to the spec isn't enough. Please point to driver support (Linux preferred), software, and at least 1 reasonably MIDI 2.0 product.