Midi 2.0

I can't find anything on the new protocol details... just the capability inquiry sysex additions.

Lots of promise but is it ready?

I can't find anything on the new protocol details... just the capability inquiry sysex additions.

Lots of promise but is it ready?

That link has a conceptual map of how it works. The specification is available for download to registered users on MIDI.org, but I had issues creating an account. I'll have to fire off an email.

It looks like there's backwards compatibility, so we should be able to create MIDI 2.0 hardware devices that work fine with existing MIDI drivers and systems.

midi20.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist this silliness. ;)

Is the spec secret, like you signed or clicked a NDA?

MIDI CI isn't secret, it is available now.

MIDI 2.0 had an interop plugfest at NAMM this year but the spec is still secret unless you are a) a paying member of the MMA or EMEI or b) have signed an NDA.

The MIDI Manufacturer's Association (MMA) is rather old-school when it comes to transparency. They release the final approved spec and nothing beforehand, even if that takes years. I have been encouraging them to be more open and have drafts for public review, for a couple of years now.

MPE is an example where a leaked draft spec totally helped with adoption, so when the final spec was released there was already momentum behind it.

MPE is an example where a leaked draft spec totally helped with adoption, so when the final spec was released there was already momentum behind it.

If anyone knows of any leaks this time around, please send me the link? Or just the PDF... :)

MIDI CI isn't secret, it is available now.

MIDI 2.0 had an interop plugfest at NAMM this year but the spec is still secret unless you are a) a paying member of the MMA or EMEI or b) have signed an NDA.

The MIDI Manufacturer's Association (MMA) is rather old-school when it comes to transparency. They release the final approved spec and nothing beforehand, even if that takes years. I have been encouraging them to be more open and have drafts for public review, for a couple of years now.

I can understand that. MIDI is used in live performance where you literally _cannot_ have errors. It's not ok to fix it and carry on.

There's always a risk with standards that if you release a draft too soon the draft spec becomes over-adopted in beta warts and all. That happened with DALI (Lighitng interface). They've had to rebrand now to DALI 2, what was originally DALI-Ex as the specs changed so much since the draft and the market ended up utterly confused - and they still are.

LOL this too sweet to delete.. so much effort .. what to do? just block "them" (Melanie @ Dianne with the same IP)?

Let's wait.

I'm definitely waiting... for a leaked PDF. Not a website requiring registration, no NDA, not a teaser about something related that isn't the real spec, but the actual spec or a late draft expected to be close to the final spec.

If anyone were to post such a thing, or anonymously email it to me, I'd definitely read it. ;)

Yes agreed..MIDI 2.0 can easily be transmitted through cables,which makes us avoid the use of bulky connectors..Which i guess is a major advantage of it.Cheers

About to get banned for post with bogus link on another thread https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/55494:::

"Melanie5

Yes its beautiful work...Anyone would fall in love with this kind ..."

… now for Dianne76 to make a helpful new post ...

In case anyone's wondering, I did download the MIDI 2.0 spec. Will read through it "soon".

But I'm not going to actually *do* anything until at least one operating system has a driver and at least some sort of software we can use for testing. I might also wait until at least 1 moderately priced product is available implementing MIDI 2.0 as a USB device, so I can watch what it actually does with my USB protocol analyzer.

If anyone wants me to implement MIDI 2.0 on Teensy, please be prepared to point to where I can get those 3 things.

Hello Paul,

I’m developing an advanced MIDI router that uses Teensy 3.6. The current version works with MIDI 1.0.

https://github.com/insolace/MIDI-Router

MIDI 2.0 is on the roadmap and my goal is to start work on a fork of your USB Midi library. I’ve got a few folks helping me and we were thinking of developing some midi 2.0 software tools to test with. There are also some manufacturers in my area that likely have 2.0 beta versions of products that we can test with.

The USB MIDI 2.0 spec is supposed to come out later this year. However MIDI 2.0 should still work over existing MIDI USB, assuming that we can transmit packets in the new 32, 64, 96 and 128 bit format, like we currently do with sysex.

I’ll post a link here when we start work on the fork, unless you want to create a branch that we could clone and submit PRs to.

Back