Led step lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

all4ham

This is my first post. So please tell me if something is wrong or missing.
I would like to build and programm a LED matrix lamp like the one in the youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn6suJHKcR0

I asked the inventor vasily kahrin how he established this project from the hardware and software side and did not get an answer.
I just know from his youtube-description, that he used a chinese arduino uno clone, the ws2812b ledstripe and some other controller.
I have an arduino uno, a new teensy3.5 and five meters of ws2812b ledstripe laying around. Before this project i just did some smal play around with given code and only rudimentary code changes. So my programming knowledge is very basic.
Now my questions:
Does anbybody know, how the effects of the above mentioned Led step lamp could be programmed? Are the effects
just sketches or is it more likely that he jused programs like jinx, glediator or something else? I'm especially interested in the swirl-effect at 1:10 in the video. Any help is appreciated.

Hard to tell, but the design looks achievable running on a Uno generating the effects live, though would take some care to achieve. Using a Teensy would give a lot more RAM and clock cycles avoiding the need for tight code. The fire effect at the end is probably the most complex code wise.

The Swirl is looks to be lighting pixel(sin(x)*stripWidth/2+stripWidth/2) or more likely just using a precomputed lookup table of that. Looks nice in a spiral like that though.

If planning to start a project like this that internally generates patterns suggest getting processing https://processing.org/ and experimenting with making grid patterns do pretty things there on your screen to get the hang of arrays and colour merging. You will not be able to port the code directly but it is pretty close and much much easier to experiment with than going straight to hardware.

Hello GremlinWrangler,
thank you for your help. As i see i was rightly afraid it would be not so easy. I will try to find out about the function lighting pixel(sin(x)*stripWidth/2+stripWidth/2) and i will have a deeper look at the processing learning software. But this will take a lot more time then i thought and this will not be possible now along the way because of family problems ( demented mother ). But thank you for your effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back