WIZ850's DOA from Mouser? No Link Lihgts

Status
Not open for further replies.

drlight

Hi - strange issue w/ the wiz850io and Teeny 3.2...

using arduino 1.6.5.r5 w/ teensyloader 1.41

code using PS's ethernet Lib v 2.0.0 - released jul 28 2018 -

have here 5x wiz850io which i ordered from mouser in may 2018 . - PCB is labeled WIZ850io ver1.0

none of the wiz units power on/show link lights/function, in a circuit where the wiz820io worked fine 100% (teensy 3.2 + newer green teensy ethernet adapter)

test code is using UDPSendRecieveString example from the library - just for the sake of absolving my own code.
TBH i can get the wiz820 to show link lights with the blink sketch loaded as long as the board has power...

the only alteration to example code was to add the standard init/reset pin sequence that paul recommends. this does not seem to help.

i thought wiz850io was a 1:1 replacement as long as one is using the newer ethernet libs. i would have thought the dang things would at least power up and link regardless of what lib is running...

am i missing something here? seems hard to believe all 5 are NFG from mouser.

_JF

As a quick sanity check, I programmed a Teensy 3.2 with the LED blink example.

Then I unplugged it, put the adaptor board and a WIZ850io on top, and connected an ethernet cable and plugged it back in to the USB cable. With only the LED blink, nothing actually talking to the ethernet hardware, I can confirm the green LED on the WIZ850io does turn on.

DSC_0341_web.jpg

Seems unlikely 5 boards would all be DOA.

If you're not getting the green LED, maybe double check the ethernet cable and test the 3.3V power with a voltmeter before concluding all those boards are bad.

Paul -

have tried another ethernet cable, just in case.. but have not metered 3v3.

but i will say this:

i can power down, take out the the 850io and drop in a 820io.. power back up and everything works 100% as expected.

have 3 820s all work in this way, 5 850's do not work.

I don't know what's wrong. Everything you've said sounds like it ought to work, but then I can't see what you're actually doing (like a photo), so only have the words you've written.

Might be worthwhile trying Arduino 1.8.5 or later and Teensyduino 1.45. The new Ethernet lib was never really tested with older versions of Arduino.

However, this green link LED test was with Teensy 3.2 running only the LED blink example... since you asked specifically about the link LED. Hopefully that helped answer your original question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back