Joystick library question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevelle

Hello all,

I am working on an IMU based head tracker that uses the BNO055 IMU, primarily for flight simulators but it could be used for pretty much anything sim or game. A Teensy 3.2 takes the IMU data and passes it to a program running on the computer. That program allows the user to setup the differences between the POV in the real world and the POV in the sim. For example, when you turn your head about +/-20° side to side in the real world, your view in the sim might go +/-180° so you can see what's behind you.

So here is my dilemma. I have the program that runs on the computer all setup and running great. The final step is to get the POV pitch, roll, and yaw commands (not joystick commands for x, y, x for things like ailerons, elevator, and rudder) into the sim.

I have two choices. One is to do that from the interface program running in the background. The other is to send the algorithm for determining sim POV from the real world IMU data back to the Teensy and have the Teensy control the POV in the sim directly. Can the joystick library control the player POV?

In either case, I need to know what and how to send this data through the HID interface so the sim response appropriately.

I hope this makes sense and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

(A screenshot of the GUI is below.)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uul86lezbogdoqy/19-02-28_IMU Tracker01.jpg?dl=0

There is no HID command for point of view, so it would depend on the game either providing a control mechanism supporting joystick of a POV control or finding what API it does use for VR applications and programing a PC side interface for that. I suspect this is very game dependent, even if you can interface with an existing PC side driver for head pointing devices.

Thanks for the reply and I guess the bad news. No wonder I can't find the information I was looking for. It doesn't exist.

One the other hand though, there are head trackers out there. TrackIR, OpenTrack, TrackHat, FreeTrack are just a few. They all have to have that software component. I don't do a lot of gaming. Pretty much just one flight sim and have TrackIR. I get the impression that the interface to the POV is very common if not a standard. I guess it will take more digging to find what that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back