Teensy 3.6 USB Host + Hub integration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 3.6 USB host project going and I'd like to integrate a USB hub into my pcb design - thus removing the need for a external hub. In turn, this leads to questions about power.

FWIW - the project is a kind of usb-midi router. Attached devices will be mostly midi controllers and are typically powered from USB

My current (working) pcb design is a shield to break out the 3.6 USB host to a USB-A connector and then provide some other headers. Power comes from the Teensy's micro-usb. I can connect an external powered USB hub to the USB Host and it all works great. So... what if I could integrate a hub into the shield pcb? (I found a github Hub project based on the TUSB2046 usb chip)

Thus I'd have 3.6 USB Host -> internal hub -> 4 USB connectors

Thus - my question is about how to handle power to the teensy and the hub in various situations:

Would it be possible to switch back and forth between an external power source and the teensy's VIN->VUSB power?

Situation 1: Nothing attached to usb hub ports. In this case it'd be nice not have have a separate power connector and just use the Teensy VIN->VUSB.

Situation 2: Adding USB devices to the hub ports. Here I'll need external power. I assume I'd just power everything (teensy/hub) from an external 5V supply.

Any gotchas I should be aware of when laying out this pcb?

Thanks!

Last edited:
USB devices can draw up to 500 mA. If you have 4 ports, you really should plan on being able to deliver up to 2 amps, plus power for Teensy 3.6 and the hub hardware.

Yes yes. I was planning on requiring a 2.5A power supply (same as I use for RasPi)

EDIT - I could also drop one USB port so there's less chance of running low on power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back