Advice on using SD card 3.5 teensy for bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwatterson

Near the finish line on my art project. I need to up-load a compiled INO program to the SD card that will down load to the teensy 3.5 on power/boot up. That program will call a couple of bitmap pictures that display on the LED panel. To be clear - I need the teensy to power-up and run the read bitmap picture program; the BMPs are on the SD card and load fine if I load the program using USB. This will make the LED panel a stand-a-lone lighted painting. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you want some form of a text file of commands or actions to load and run on powerup from the SD card? A compiled IO - can't be loaded and executed from SD card. The sketch would be already programmed and look for the command file and act accordingly.

What I need is to insure that the teensy program does not get corrupted by a power failure or some other interruption. The program runs fine once I up-load it so everything is working now. However over a period of time something will happen and I need to find a way to reload that program in an automatic way when that happens.

What I need is to insure that the teensy program does not get corrupted by a power failure or some other interruption. The program runs fine once I up-load it so everything is working now. However over a period of time something will happen and I need to find a way to reload that program in an automatic way when that happens.

Right now, the only supported method is via USB. There are various other solutions people have thought about and some implemented with varying degrees of success.

The simplest approach IMHO, is not to depend on reloading the program in the Teensy, but instead have the Teensy read the files on the SD card, and display BMP's (or other image formats), and possibly a simple text file that contains directions which the Teensy parses.

One solution might be running micro python on the Teensy. There was a port in 2016 to the Teensy 3.2, but I don't know if it is actively maintained:

The Teensy-flash will not get corrupted. Never heard that. And why do you think the flash on a card is better?
Then, the loader that loads from SD would have to be where? Right.. the teensy-flash.

The Teensy-flash will not get corrupted. Never heard that. And why do you think the flash on a card is better?

Indeed, the Teensy is likely to power up and function without needing to reload code longer than some number of flash cards will be usable. If something breaks that - there would likely be another bigger problem.

Thank you for the input. Really helpful and right to the point. Teensy is probably more reliable than the SD card. I am using both since the the BMP does get loaded from the SD card. Great feedback. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back