Necessity of Level Shifter for Teensy 3.2 I2C Functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecmielke

I've read just about everything on this forum I can find about using Teensy 3.2 and I2C. I have successfully gotten a Teensy slave working with a Teensy master using I2C protocol for testing purposes.

I am now attaching the Teensy 3.2 to a 5V logic I2C bus within another system but haven't succeeded in I2C SCL or SDA to the Teensy. I want to rule out the necessity of a level shifter for the Teensy 3.2.

Is a level shifter needed for I2C functionality of a Teensy 3.2 on a 5V logic bus? I believe the answer is no since I2C pulls down the line, but I want to double check here as well and ensure I don't need extra hardware to get this working. I know Teensy's are 5V tolerant on digital pins and just need to rule this possibility out so I can continue debugging more into software perhaps.

Thank you for the time!

I've got 2 pullups on there now and they work great with another Teensy as a Master. The issue is when I am putting the Teensy slave on a 5V I2C bus though and whether a level shifter isn't actually needed since I2C pulls the line down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back