FlexCAN for Teensy 3.5 for Car OBDII?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power_Broker

Hey guys,

I have a Teensy 3.5 and a WaveShare CAN transceiver I'd like to use to get basic diagnostics data from my 2015 Dodge Charger R/T such as speed and RPM.

I did some digging and it looks like FlexCAN is the library to use for a project like this, but the main problem is that all the examples are for the T3.6. Does anyone know of an example for this library that gets car diagnostics and works with a T3.5?

I've never used CAN before and I get a little ansy trying to communicate on new comm protocols, so an example I can use and test would set my mind at ease.

Any ideas? Has anyone done a project like this before?

Cool! Thanks for the link. Might be a dumb question, but have you tested your library to get data (i.e. speed) from a car's CAN port?

yes, you can either do it through a CAN obd request or look through the stream of datta to find the RPM which is being sent to the cluster. it should be 2 bytes in a frame
when you see the log scrolling in the car you’ll need to look through it to see which values change with the RPM

Since the IDs are different per vehicle per year you need to do that reversing yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back