Simulating Bill Cipher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avi Harel

Dear all,
I am trying to construct an emulation of Bill Cipher voice (from Gravity Falls)
(this is for a costume for my 8 year old son)
here is an explanation of how to create the voice effect in Audacity :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Jvl3JKHsA

I have tried my best to simulate this in Teensy
(I have Teensy 3.6 + Audio card and the input is a standard electret microphon and the output is through the line out to an 8 ohm speaker with a standard amplifier)
but to no avail...my son insists that it does not sound like Bill Cipher at all...:(

I would be grateful to any suggestions...
Thanks, Avi

In the video, he uses a filter to amplify the lows, which can be done with a biquad filter. The pitch shift (8% increase) is probably the trickiest part. Maybe you could use the granular effect? Then the echo is pretty simple, just use a delay and mixer. Then use another mixer to combine that with the filter output.

If you're already trying something like that, maybe we can help you troubleshoot it. But you're going to have to show us what you've done. You might also capture the unmodified sound clip and final sound clip from that youtube video and put them into WAV files, so you can practice on the same input sound as the video and play the video's final result for comparison. And if we try to help you get it working, those sound clips are going to really help!

Or maybe, before doing *anything*, try just playing the final sound clip from that video. Put it as a WAV file on a SD card and play it through the audio shield and whatever amp & speaker you're using. If your son doesn't think *that* sounds like Bill Cipher, then you're going to need a better amp & speaker. That clip has a lot of range and deep bass, so a tiny cheap speaker may never work. Maybe try good quality headphones as a best case scenario. Until you have a way to play the already-processed sound clip that meets your son's approval, it won't matter how well you can do the signal processing.

In the video, he uses a filter to amplify the lows, which can be done with a biquad filter. The pitch shift (8% increase) is probably the trickiest part. Maybe you could use the granular effect? Then the echo is pretty simple, just use a delay and mixer. Then use another mixer to combine that with the filter output.

If you're already trying something like that, maybe we can help you troubleshoot it. But you're going to have to show us what you've done. You might also capture the unmodified sound clip and final sound clip from that youtube video and put them into WAV files, so you can practice on the same input sound as the video and play the video's final result for comparison. And if we try to help you get it working, those sound clips are going to really help!

Or maybe, before doing *anything*, try just playing the final sound clip from that video. Put it as a WAV file on a SD card and play it through the audio shield and whatever amp & speaker you're using. If your son doesn't think *that* sounds like Bill Cipher, then you're going to need a better amp & speaker. That clip has a lot of range and deep bass, so a tiny cheap speaker may never work. Maybe try good quality headphones as a best case scenario. Until you have a way to play the already-processed sound clip that meets your son's approval, it won't matter how well you can do the signal processing.

Thanks Paul,
I ended up using #11 code in this thread :

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/54058-Vader-voice-changer?highlight=dalek

and I only tweaked the parameters (using a slightly high pitch instead of a low one) and it worked like a charm !
Thanks, Avi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back