Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Audio Out - amplifier for headphone and speakers?

Audio Out - amplifier for headphone and speakers?

Hi,
    I need a simple headphone/speaker output - Input via SPDIF(best), DACs, or I2S. It should be a small(!), not expensive "breakout"-module or easy to solder (SOIC/DIL) chip, Voltage 5V.
    Best would be 2 channel/stereo.. mono is OK, too.. for speakers perhaps something like 1-3 watts.. (+ loud enough for cheap smartphone headphones)

Are there any recommendations?

I have played around with some Mono chips on some of my boards that hook up to a DAC, which maybe don't have enough power for your needs. I think this one (LM4862) is something like .8watts
    I think there are others in this class like LM4871 that output up to 3w.

Hm.. heaphones have a common ground - can I use this chip for headphones?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Hm.. heaphones have a common ground - can I use this chip for headphones?
    Sorry Frank, I have no idea... Hopefully someone who is more of an EE type can give you some better solutions... I was a CS type person whose last EE class was over 35 years ago. I have mainly used these chips on the board with a small speaker also on the board. Something like a: AST-01508MR-R

A single-chip solution seems to be a gap in the market...
    TDA1308 is OK for headphones (cheap breakouts on eBay)

Banned
    LM4862 is bridge output so not a good candidate for headphones.

TDA2822, 8-pin Dip useful for headphone driver.

What about Silicon Labs 16- pin SOIC, Si3000 ?

Wow.. the Si3000 looks good 12Khz max - not "HiFi", but OK for my use-case. And it seems it can drive both, a small speaker and headphones. Available in Germany..perfect..Great, thank you!

Hi Frank,

not quite sure what you want . . .

Maybe this:

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/p...o/MAX9879.html

The problem with class A/B amps is that you need quite big output caps (in the range of several 100s F), that makes those amps BIG.

Class D amps do not need this. (But most are in packages not easy to solder by hand).

The Si3000 is a codec with a built-in amp, but only handles voice/speech (12ksps sample rate restricts your frequency response to < 5kHz, the specs say 300-3400kHz, so this is telephone quality or lower . . .).

BTW, I recently found this schematic to add headphones to a class D speaker amp, but I have not tried it out!!!

https://www.edn.com/design/analog/43...ss-D-amplifier

Maybe a class D speaker amp IC together with that circuit suits your needs of a stereo speaker amp with the possibility to insert standard headphones with common ground?

All the best,

Frank DD4WH

Frank, have a look at the TPA6011 and the schematic on page 16 of the datasheet

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa6011a4.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DD4WH View Post
    Hi Frank,

not quite sure what you want . . .

Maybe this:

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/p...o/MAX9879.html

The problem with class A/B amps is that you need quite big output caps (in the range of several 100s F), that makes those amps BIG.

Class D amps do not need this. (But most are in packages not easy to solder by hand).

The Si3000 is a codec with a built-in amp, but only handles voice/speech (12ksps sample rate restricts your frequency response to < 5kHz, the specs say 300-3400kHz, so this is telephone quality or lower . . .).

BTW, I recently found this schematic to add headphones to a class D speaker amp, but I have not tried it out!!!

https://www.edn.com/design/analog/43...ss-D-amplifier

Maybe a class D speaker amp IC together with that circuit suits your needs of a stereo speaker amp with the possibility to insert standard headphones with common ground?

All the best,

Frank DD4WH
    Any precautions when using a class D mono amp (1-3watt) to drive 1 side off a headphone?

Alain