Isolate teensy from switching power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwatterson

Hello again, trying to work out the last details for my Leds lighted painting. Since I need to insure that the panels stay operational as long as possible, I think it is a good idea to isolate the teensy and SD card from the power supplies. I have three 60A 5V power supplies hooked in parallel to drive the panel of leds and the 3.5 teensy. I think it makes sense to add a cap to the first string of Leds as well as the teensy to prevent a start up surge from destroying the circuitry. In addition, I was thinking of adding a sound sensitive switch to start the display up in stead of a single pole switch. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Am not certain that a supply (bypass) cap will do much to arrest voltage or current output surges, and is intended to provide short-term pulsed-current demands. That is, the bypass cap is intended to provide a delimited current surge. A series L might help for some current surges. And a properly rated surge arrest component, such as parallel surge protection diode, would help with a voltage surge.

Optoisolators or something similar would provide galvanic isolation if you want to do something more than the de-coupling provided by caps.

General electrical stuff is well-discussed on venues such as http://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php and sci.electronics.design, but the latter has much spam.

Great, thanks for suggestions. I will go to sci.electronic design and check out some details. I was thinking of a simple R/C filter arrangement but you are right, general surge protection is what I need. You guys are always knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back