Understanding pin assignments Teensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

oudevolvo

Hi all,
I am in the process of converting a 1967 Volvo Amazon wagon to full electric and have chosen to use a Teensy 3.6 to control all kinds of auxiliary processes such as pump speeds, switching fans and valves, show warning leds and two OLED screens with information.
I do not want to use the flat pins on the back and with all functions I want on the Teensy the pinout occupancy will be close to 100%.
The pinout overview has been very helpful but I do not understand all assignments.
Hope you can fill me in on some of those.

1- Can I assume all pins except for the power and ground pins can be used as digital I/Os?
For example can I use pin 0 and also pin 3 (PWM) to control a gate driver (I'm using TC4422AVPA)?

2- Can I also use A10, A11, A21 and A22 to control this gate driver?
And why do these not have a 'regular' pin number?
Are these then perhaps analog only and (thus) for example suitable to dedicate them to my two thermistors?

If you're interested I am happy to post the full list but it's quite long ;)
Thanks in advance for your help.
ps. Great product this Teensy 3.6!

Assuming you have the T_3.6 PJRC CARD? Or can find image on PJRC.com.

The card is packed with details - Quick Summary on reading::

Pins with 'gray' number can use that value for digital I/O.
Pins with 'light orange' number can use that value for analog I/O.

Pins not so indicated do not have that function.
Pins with multiple indications can when properly configured use any one of the labelled functions - this extends to alternate BUS/TYPE colorization.

The Larger T_3.6/3.5 had some of the colorization category information displaced from the CARD, If you look at the PJRC.COM image for the T_3.2 or T_LC CARD they provide some overview for each color category.

Hi all,
I am in the process of converting a 1967 Volvo Amazon wagon to full electric and have chosen to use a Teensy 3.6 to control all kinds of auxiliary processes such as pump speeds, switching fans and valves, show warning leds and two OLED screens with information.
I do not want to use the flat pins on the back and with all functions I want on the Teensy the pinout occupancy will be close to 100%.
The pinout overview has been very helpful but I do not understand all assignments.
Hope you can fill me in on some of those.

1- Can I assume all pins except for the power and ground pins can be used as digital I/Os?
For example can I use pin 0 and also pin 3 (PWM) to control a gate driver (I'm using TC4422AVPA)?

2- Can I also use A10, A11, A21 and A22 to control this gate driver?
And why do these not have a 'regular' pin number?
Are these then perhaps analog only and (thus) for example suitable to dedicate them to my two thermistors?

If you're interested I am happy to post the full list but it's quite long ;)
Thanks in advance for your help.
ps. Great product this Teensy 3.6!

The pins that do not have a digital pin value can only be used for analog input or analog output (in the case of two pins). The following pins are analog only:
  • Pin A10, analog input (inside row of pins);
  • Pin A11, analog input (inside row of pins);
  • Pin A21, analog input and analog output (left side pins);
  • Pin A22, analog input and analog output (left side pins).

If you had a Teensy 3.5 instead of 3.6, the second USB header is not used, and two of these pins are analog input only:
  • Pin A25;
  • Pin A26.

If you wanted access to the underside pins, a tindie vendor talldog has several PCBs that gives this access. Talldog also offers versions with the Teensy soldered in in case your soldering skills aren't up to snuff:

There is this cheaper board from oshpark:

Thanks for your quick responses.
This was exactly the confirmation I was looking for.
Thanks for pointing me towards the color category information @defragster. This info was indeed not present on the 3.6 card and is explained on the 3.1 card I found and was very helpful.
And thanks for making it that explicit @MichaelMeissner that indeed these pins on my 3.6 are analog only.
I'll need to shuffle some assignments.

I had seen the extension topics on the forum and via those also found the Tindie offerings.
Even e-mailed the maker whether I could have a slightly different variant on a pre-made board but never got a reply unfortunately.
Later I realised even though it is possible with that breakout board to use the flat pins on the back I'd rather not do that given the fact that I am using it in an automotive setting with more vibrations than in a stationary setting.

Even e-mailed the maker whether I could have a slightly different variant on a pre-made board but never got a reply unfortunately.

I probably missed your email.

Let me confirm for you, PJRC does *not* offer hardware customization, except for the Teensy boards with pin pre-soldered for plugging into a breadboard. Even there, we offer only 1 pins soldering option.

Teensy boards are manufactured and tested in large batches. It only works if we make every board exactly the same.

Sorry, when I read that sentence again I realise it was not very explicit.
I meant to write that I e-mailed the maker of the breakout board (Tall Dog on Tindie).
Unless you are Tall Dog on Tindie Paul, then I did send you an e-mail ;)
He offers an assembled breakout board with socketed Teensy and then you can opt for jumpers or switches.
What I wanted in that case of choosing a fully assembled breakout board to have neither switches nor jumpers but fixed for external power and USB as device respectively.

But in the end, no problem, some problems solve themselves over time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back