Low Power with Teensey 3.6 + Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

AalokShah

I am looking for the low power design with Teensey. My hardware is design with the same focus - having control pins to toggle the power of module-wise circuitry.

Right now my code snippet is like this in loop() function of Ardunio,

power_mgmt.disable_all(); ///I am disabling power to all the modules of my hardware for which I have availability of control pin
time_mgmt.power_down();
power_mgmt.enable_all(); ///I am enabling power to all the modules of my hardware for which I have availability of control pin

Implementation for time_mgmt.power_down() is like this,

SnoozeBlock config_teensy(alarm);

err_status v_time_mgmt::power_down()
{
Snooze.deepSleep(config_teensy);
return NO_ERR;
}

Basically I am trying to wakeup with the RTC. My need is to wake up at every 15 minutes, read the data from attached sensors -> send it over XBEE, and then again go back to sleep for 15 minutes. There is a provision of digital I/O for all the modules (i.e. XBEE, Attached Sensors) to disable the power going to them which I am handing with power_mgmt.disable_all().

I have put the multi-meter in series to my power source and measured current at both the instants - at the deep_sleep and at the operational time. When it is operational, I am seeing current around 100mA, and when it is in deep_sleep, I am seeing current around 28mA.

After debugging across the hardware, it was figured that almost all the the current is being taken by the Teensey itself even though it is in deep sleep. How can I manage Teensey firmware to get as minimum current as possible when I put it in sleep mode - seek some guidance?

Is there anyway I can reduce 28mA to further low value over Teensey? Teensey itself seems to be eating up the current though in snooze.deepSleep mode. Is it possible or make sense to directly write on registers of NXP (instead of library call for Teensey) over Arduino to get less current?

Hello,

I have used snooze library in simelar circumstances like in your project with success.
Some hints:
- if you don't need exact time and date for other reasons in your app, it is simpler to use timer instead RTC
- the current you see in deepSleep can be caused by external hardware connected to teensy via interfaces like SPI ; I had to set the pins in triState via pinmode(x, INPUT_DISABLE) before Sleep and set to desired function after wakeup again.

@larry
- As you have mentioned I have configured all the 57 pins of Teensey3.6 in INPUT_DISABLED mode, but not seeing improvement.
- I have reduced the operating frequency to 24MHZ, and seeing significant difference in current (80mA -> 30mA) at working condition, however, no improvement in current value at sleep mode
- I have tried low power timer as well, but I am seeing almost near current occupation which I get with RTC

My current consumption is 13mA in low power mode, using Deff's Snooze library - VLLS2 with hibernnate mode [Snooze.hibernate(config_teensy, VLLS2)]. What was your current rating? Were you on the similar mode?

Referring Table-5 of http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4503.pdf, it seems that all the peripherals are OFF with VLLS2, would appreciate if have suggestions to try out to improve this.

In Hibernate mode, you should get (way!) less than 1mA of power consumption with Teensy 3.6.

I don't have a spare Teensy 3.6 right now; but I just measured a Teensy 3.2 overclocked to 120 MHz.