Can't upload anything to Teensy 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhatnamt

I bought a teensy 3.2 a few months ago, tested by plugging in usb (blinking) and left it in the drawer till today.
I install everything according to the website, even with administrator .

When I plug the Teensy in, the orange LED blinks. From there, I press 'Verify', the Teensyduino program opens and I press the button on the Teensy, and the light stops blinking, and i release, nothing happens, and the light keeps blinking. I'm using blink example from teensy to upload.

I tested with all usb cable i have (those that can transfer file between phones and PC) with 4 other PC, non of them work. Is my teensy dead?

Below is the verbose log.
.View attachment Log.txt

Last edited:
Yes, you want to upload a program... verify does not much when no program is loaded in Arduino. It does not upload anything.

If you are loading BLINK and it is running Blink - then after upload it will return to blinking if it works - or not. With TeensyLoader active it will reprogram each time that 'PROGRAM' button is pressed.

Have you selected the Teensy Port and opened SerMon to monitor USB output? Does the Blink in use have any printing output to show it is running something unique?

Try the above with the sketch in this post - and scan the steps there to see if any are useful: Can-t-communicate-with-Teensy-3-2-through-Teensyduino

I load Blink but modified it to 100 milisec, nothing changes. Whenever I press and release the program button, Windows make a sound and that's it.
Here's my Arduino setting
Annotation 2019-04-03 145029.png

Teensy shows up as this device, it appears whenever I plug in teensy
dm.png

From this screenshot, looks like Teensy is working. 16c0 and 0486 is the RawHID blink program that comes on every brand new Teensy.

Is Teensy Loader visible somewhere on your screen? Try turning off Auto mode. Then press the pushbutton on your Teensy.

Yes teensy loader does show up every time i press verify but nothing happen when I press the pushbutton.
loader.png

Correct me if I'm wrong. First you load the sketch, then hit verify, Teensy loader will show up prompting you to press the pushbutton. Once you press it, the program should be loaded to your Teensy. Is that right?

Once you press it, the program should be loaded to your Teensy. Is that right?

It depends on the Auto mode setting.

When Auto mode is turned on, that's correct. It should send the program to your Teensy. The entire process happens pretty quickly, so if your eyes aren't focused on that window (or if some other software on your PC is slowing down GUI updates) you might miss is.

When Auto mode is turned off, as in your screenshot, then you should see the "Press Button..." message replaced by a bright image of whatever Teensy board you're using. Those 2 buttons in the middle of the toolbar are supposed to become enabled. One causes the code to be programmed onto your Teensy. The other causes Teensy to reboot to whatever code it has, which should still be the prior program if you don't click that first button.

Here's how it's supposed to look in that state, where Auto mode is off and it's detected your board, where those 2 buttons are enabled.

sc.jpg

I see, but mine is nothing like that, I'm not sure what's the problem here. Maybe I'll try it on Ubuntu again and update the result.

I see, but mine is nothing like that, I'm not sure what's the problem here. Maybe I'll try it on Ubuntu again and update the result.

Are you saying that, after pressing the auto button, you are not getting the image, Paul provided?

Just to confirm, you're pressing the button on your Teensy, right? Not anything on your PC, but the physical button that's on the Teensy board.

After you're pressed the button and heard the sound, what do you see if you click Arduino's Tools > Ports menu? 0486 or 0478 in the ID numbers?

Some thoughts...

1: Reboot. This is Windows afterall.

2: Maybe something got messed up in the Windows registry. You might need to find a utility to get Windows to "forget" everything it's learned about USB hardware ID 16C0:0478.

3: Try a different PC, or run Linux on this machine. If a "detecting hardware" message appears the first time you press the button, don't mess with it. Let Windows do its thing. Or try Linux, which doesn't suffer from silly registry problems.

You might need to find a utility to get Windows to "forget" everything it's learned about USB hardware ID 16C0:0478.

I found it useful to
remove teensy
open device manager and visualize also hidden devices
uninstall all inactive (greyed) HID devices with HW ID 16C0
uninstall all inactive COM ports.

typically this should remove 'bad' USB ports from Windows

One more question - where did you buy this Teensy? Directly from PJRC or any of the official distributors?

Any chance this board could be a Chinese fake? (anything purchased from Aliexpress)

One more question - where did you buy this Teensy? Directly from PJRC or any of the official distributors?

Any chance this board could be a Chinese fake? (anything purchased from Aliexpress)

Indeed.. I did a quick search and I found some Teensy 3.2 which look like counterfeits.. but pretty good ones :) Hard to see - they have even the vias on the same positions - but if look closely you see missing SMD Parts or a slightly wrong silkscreen..
Paul, are there any official versions which have the print "GND" near pin 0 upside down (on the backside)?

Ah that explains everything. Yes I bought it from Ali. Didn't think it was a counterfeit since it came very well fabricated, even with anti static bag.
I guess I'll have to get another one then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back