Recompile Teensy Arduino Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyrssen

Hello all,

I am currently working on a project to develop a custom USB Hid device for the Teensy 3.1/3.2 board following this tutorial: https://blog.hamaluik.ca/posts/making-a-custom-teensy3-hid-joystick/

It seems it is slightly out of date as confirmed by the original author. I have done my best to keep to the standards laid out in the comments of the Teensy Core c and header files as well as following the steps taken in the tutorial. I have gotten to the last step where I am trying to get the new USB Type to show up in the Arduino IDE menu, but making the change to the boards.txt file doesn't seem to change anything in the Arduino IDE. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to get this working. I think it is because I haven't compiled the Teensy core for Arduino since the changes were made, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Any changes I make to the boards.txt do not reflect in the Arduino IDE menu, even if I try to point the USB Type menu entry to one of the stock defined USB Type build directives, which leads me to come to the re-compile step as being the solution. Any sort of help provided would be greatly appreciated!

Note: Most every time you build for a Teensy it will automatically rebuild everything in the core. The IDE does try to cache out compiles, but it should rebuild anything that changes. If you are wondering what all that compiles when you do a verify or upload, you should turn on verbose compile option: (File -> Preferences) command

Note: Most every time you build for a Teensy it will automatically rebuild everything in the core. The IDE does try to cache out compiles, but it should rebuild anything that changes. If you are wondering what all that compiles when you do a verify or upload, you should turn on verbose compile option: (File -> Preferences) command

Thank you! I did not realize that. Everything seems to be working as expected now.

but making the change to the boards.txt file doesn't seem to change anything in the Arduino IDE.

The boards.txt and platform.txt files are handled differently than all the source code. They're read by the arduino-builder program every time you compile, so some of the stuff in them takes effect on the next compile. But they're also read by the Arduino IDE at startup. Many of the settings only take effect when you quit and restart Arduino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back