Serial Monitor Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbott

Any program that I write or find online that reads from the serial output of the Teensy 3.2 over USB seems to crash after a short period of time with anything much shorter than 300-500 ms delay between prints. Using the following code in teensyduino:

Code:
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("started");
}

void loop() {
  Serial.println("one line");
  delay(300);
}

produces the following output on the serial monitor:

qstxb23.jpg

This is another program that I am testing that will crash after a couple printed lines:

2019-04-08-164220_1920x1080_scrot.jpg

I have GND and V+ wired to a 6V bench supply, RV going to A1, and TMP going to A2 for my circuit for that test case.

Is there some kind of limit I should be aware of when printing to serial? Could this be a problem with the teensyduino package I am using from the AUR? How can I get proper output on Serial?

Something is really wrong. Even 1 ms delay should be plenty, and most Linux systems (this is Linux, right?) should be able to handing the data coming in without any delays.

Maybe some other program is trying to also read from the same port? Maybe Gnome Modem Manager? But the udev rules are supposed to tell Modem Manager to leave Teensy alone.

If you're using an old Teensyduino, install 1.45 or 1.46-beta10. I see the selected port is "/dev/ttyACM0", which will be from the "Serial ports" section of the Ports menu. Try selecting from the "Teensy" part of that menu (version 1.42 or later). Using the Teensy port rather than Serial port bypasses all the Java serial stuff and does direct native Linux access to the port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back